cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Windows 10 Update August 2

Re: Big Windows 10 Update August 2

Oh and what's the deal with double posting... It's happened twice now.

So the the heck am I supposed to do for the rest of the month!?! This is bull! I better be reimbursed for my data or I'm not paying!
Honorary Alumnus

Sally,

Have you made any attempt at finding the cause of your data loss ?

The normal procedure is to start off with a LAN disconnect test:

This will determine if the Hughes Modem is using data on its own. If no data is used during the testing period then we can only conclude that something on your network is using the data.

These so called Windows updates... No matter what I do my computer keeps automatically downloading them!
Associate Professor

Sallynug, failure to pay will result in account suspension, and potential collections fees in the future.  It is NOT the fault of your ISP for your operating system to decide to update.

I don't care! I own my equipment! There's a new provider coming soon later this year or early next year and as soon as they contact me to beta test the system I'm dropping HughesNet! If HughesNet continues to be crappy I'll drop it before they come and I'll get the old DOCSIS 2 cable internet that probably will be just as unreliable as HughesNet.
Assistant Professor

Looks to me your mind is already made up. Blaming Hughes because Microsoft released a huge update that the user has no control over when is downloaded seems a bit unfair to me.

I chose not to upgrade to Windows 10 because of the lack of control over updates.
Highlighted

Well Hughes should make it so these large updates are not counted, I know they can because they did it for the Windows 10 upgrades last year, I noticed a new Active Hours feature in the new Windows 10 update, I tried to get it to the Anytime hours but it wouldn't let me.

I tried to get DSL from Verizon and they said they don't have enough ports at my CO, but I just seen them running a phone line to a new traffic camera for the state of MD.
Honorary Alumnus

Well Hughes should make it so these large updates are not counted

Why ? Data is data. Hughes has no connection to Microsoft.

You choose to "upgrade" to Win10. There was more than ample warning on many websites including this one that Win10 does not offer more than just token control over updates along with the fact that it shares "telemetry" with Microsoft. That "feature" right there will use even more of your data.

Its all about making informed decisions, not about ISP's and capped data plans.

I tried a couple of the Win10 Preview versions, found it lacking in many respects that include lack of control and privacy concerns.

I stayed with Win7 on some of my computers and went to Linux on a couple more.

You had choices. If you can't make your OS stay within the bounds of your service plan, then you likely chose poorly.