Big Windows 10 Update August 2

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liz

Big Windows 10 Update August 2

Hello!

For the Windows 10 users out there, be aware of this significant update to come August 2. 

Please remember that Windows 10 updates are automatically downloaded and installed to your computer, and you may only schedule when your PC reboots to complete the installation.

So if you notice your data allowance depleting faster than usual on/after August 2, it's due to the Windows 10 update.

Here's how to schedule the post-update reboot so that it does not interrupt you during an inopportune moment:
http://www.howtogeek.com/221903/how-to-schedule-restarts-for-updates-in-windows-10/

For details on what's included in this update, please check this out: http://www.computerworld.com/article/3089869/microsoft-windows/microsofts-big-windows-10-update-laun...

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

92 REPLIES 92
sallynug

These so called Windows updates... No matter what I do my computer keeps automatically downloading them!
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Sallynug, failure to pay will result in account suspension, and potential collections fees in the future.  It is NOT the fault of your ISP for your operating system to decide to update.
sallynug

I don't care! I own my equipment! There's a new provider coming soon later this year or early next year and as soon as they contact me to beta test the system I'm dropping HughesNet! If HughesNet continues to be crappy I'll drop it before they come and I'll get the old DOCSIS 2 cable internet that probably will be just as unreliable as HughesNet.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Looks to me your mind is already made up. Blaming Hughes because Microsoft released a huge update that the user has no control over when is downloaded seems a bit unfair to me.

I chose not to upgrade to Windows 10 because of the lack of control over updates.
AvidSurvivalist

Well Hughes should make it so these large updates are not counted, I know they can because they did it for the Windows 10 upgrades last year, I noticed a new Active Hours feature in the new Windows 10 update, I tried to get it to the Anytime hours but it wouldn't let me.
AvidSurvivalist

I tried to get DSL from Verizon and they said they don't have enough ports at my CO, but I just seen them running a phone line to a new traffic camera for the state of MD.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Well Hughes should make it so these large updates are not counted

Why ? Data is data. Hughes has no connection to Microsoft.

You choose to "upgrade" to Win10. There was more than ample warning on many websites including this one that Win10 does not offer more than just token control over updates along with the fact that it shares "telemetry" with Microsoft. That "feature" right there will use even more of your data.

Its all about making informed decisions, not about ISP's and capped data plans.

I tried a couple of the Win10 Preview versions, found it lacking in many respects that include lack of control and privacy concerns.

I stayed with Win7 on some of my computers and went to Linux on a couple more.

You had choices. If you can't make your OS stay within the bounds of your service plan, then you likely chose poorly.

AvidSurvivalist

Yeah I choose poorly alright! Mr. Quote Man...
AvidSurvivalist

Taking this "wonderful" slow internet
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Then you need to find out why your internet is slow.

FAP ?

If you are in throttled because you used all your data then issue is with you.

Too many concurrent connections ?

Reduce the number of devices, active programs and active processes running at any one time.

Have you determined and documented your systems baseline speeds to see if you are within normal performance parameters for your system platform and plan level ?

Run a series of speed tests at testmy.net

Create an account there, use the manual test of 12 MB download, 2 MB upload.

Run three to five tests space at least 5 minutes apart.

Do this about three times in 24 hours, early, mid-day and evening.

Run the tests on a computer directly connected to the modem.

When complete, post a link to your saved results.

Bernard Nash

Gabeu: Oh come now. Windows 10 is the worst, worst, worst OS ever created. It cant do most things I can do with Vista.  It's like starting over in kindergarten for no good reason.
AvidSurvivalist

I am already addressing this issue with a HughesNet Rep in another post, I'm not Fapped yet.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Bernard, run a virtual machine if you want to keep an old OS and run 16 bit programs. ScuumVM and DosBox are great for old games and software. VMware is great for running an entire OS.

Come April next year you're opening yourself up to attacks since no more support.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?c2=11732&wa=wsignin1.0
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Bernard,

First...REALLY?  It was sarcasm.  I never thought in a million years that anybody would take what I said about Windows 10 seriously. 

Secondly...Vista.  Still using Vista, eh?  Hmm.  Okay, then.  LOL.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GabeU

Well Hughes should make it so these large updates are not counted

I had a pretty hefty update in February for a game I have installed.  About 6GB.  Does that count?  How about all of the smaller, incremental updates to Windows 10 in between.  Surely they add up to a few GBs.  Does that count?  How about when I upgraded to Windows 10 in the first place.  Does that count?  And that's with three PCs.  Minus the game update, that's about 30 GBs total just for the three PCs upgrading and updating of Windows 10.

Hmm.  How about when I upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1.  That was three PCs, too, and one of them twice.  That's about another 13-14GB. 

And who's to say what's "large"?  Where's the definition?  Other programs and updates for those programs are GBs and GBs over the years.  

Come to think of it, they should just give us free internet!   

You pay for the GBs you get and how you use them is up to you.  It has nothing to do with Hughesnet.  What you download and update and use is up to you.  Hughesnet isn't responsible for any of that. 

I know they can because they did it for the Windows 10 upgrades last year

That was a promotion and promotions end.  A past promotion isn't all inclusive for everything in the future.  It was a promotion for upgrading.  It's over. 

You are responsible for how you use the data you are sold. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
dougpare

This has NOTHING to do with the post update reboot, and everything to do with Win 10 downloading whenever the computer and connection to huges is up.  It can't be stopped, and eats up your FAP and effectively shuts you down.

I can't even get hughes download manager to schedule an off FAP time to download an update for the Hughes Status meter.  It says it will, but doesn't, or can't.

This is on two different machines.  One preloaded with win10 and the other that came loaded with it.

Also, don't have the ability to purchase or use existing tokans.  It times out. That's been an ongoing problem for years.

The only reason I can post this comment is because I also have a Verizon wifi.

dougpare

It would also be nice if hughes uncapped the ability to purchase or use tokans.  9 times our of 10 it shuts down on me.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Doug,
Here is a repost on Token handling:

There are several ways to purchase tokens. This will illustrate one of them:

Open your "Dashboard" here:

http://my.hughesnet.com/

Before we can discuss Tokens, we have to understand the details of "Data Buckets"
You really have three sources of data from which to draw:
(times are for Gen4 monthly plans)
(all times are "local")
(click on pictures for larger images)
#1: Anytime Bytes (8am to 2am)
#2: Bonus Bytes (2am to 8am)
#3: Token Bytes (used when Anytime Bytes are depleted)

The above shows all three "data buckets"

One method of purchasing Tokens is to click the "Token Management" link as shown below:

That links brings up the following:

As shown below, that page has two parts:
The "purchase" area and the "available" area:

Clicking one of the "purchase" links will cause that denomination of Token to be charged to your bill. It is NOT however ready for use ... it is added to an "available" category.

After clicking "purchase" watch the screen closely. A very brief confirmation screen will appear:

After the confirmation, the number of "available" Tokens will increase by one:

At this point you have been charged for the Token, you "own" the Token, but it has NOT been added to your allowance yet.
In fact it is NEVER added to your Anytime or Bonus Bytes allowance categories. however after "USE" it is added to your "Token Bytes" data bucket (#3 in the first graphic)

In order to release a Token for use we have to click the "use" button:

After you click "use" two things will occur:
The number of "available" Tokens will decrease by one
The value of the Token will be added to your "Token Bucket":

After a short delay, refresh the meter display and the Token data should be visible in your "Token Bucket":

GabeU

This has NOTHING to do with the post update reboot, and everything to do with Win 10 downloading whenever the computer and connection to huges is up.  It can't be stopped, and eats up your FAP and effectively shuts you down.

You could always go with a Linux Distribution. 

Personally have three Windows 10 PCs.  No problems with them eating all of my data.  Other than the most recent month, due to the Anniversary Update, I have never gone over 6GB of Anytime Data and Bonus Bytes in a month, combined.  Again, that's keeping three Windows 10 PCs up to date, along with the non Windows programs, as well. 

It sounds like more than Windows 10 eating your data.  You need to do some digging to find out what it is.   

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

As for tokens being capped... You can thank a very small group of users that purchased thousands of dollars worth in tokens, and refused to pay, saying they never used them or bought that many...  Now there is a monthly cap and one must call in after X amount to be allowed to purchase more...