cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Windows 10 Update August 2

Re: Big Windows 10 Update August 2

It would also be nice if hughes uncapped the ability to purchase or use tokans.  9 times our of 10 it shuts down on me.
Honorary Alumnus

Doug,
Here is a repost on Token handling:

There are several ways to purchase tokens. This will illustrate one of them:

Open your "Dashboard" here:

http://my.hughesnet.com/

Before we can discuss Tokens, we have to understand the details of "Data Buckets"
You really have three sources of data from which to draw:
(times are for Gen4 monthly plans)
(all times are "local")
(click on pictures for larger images)
#1: Anytime Bytes (8am to 2am)
#2: Bonus Bytes (2am to 8am)
#3: Token Bytes (used when Anytime Bytes are depleted)

The above shows all three "data buckets"

One method of purchasing Tokens is to click the "Token Management" link as shown below:

That links brings up the following:

As shown below, that page has two parts:
The "purchase" area and the "available" area:

Clicking one of the "purchase" links will cause that denomination of Token to be charged to your bill. It is NOT however ready for use ... it is added to an "available" category.

After clicking "purchase" watch the screen closely. A very brief confirmation screen will appear:

After the confirmation, the number of "available" Tokens will increase by one:

At this point you have been charged for the Token, you "own" the Token, but it has NOT been added to your allowance yet.
In fact it is NEVER added to your Anytime or Bonus Bytes allowance categories. however after "USE" it is added to your "Token Bytes" data bucket (#3 in the first graphic)

In order to release a Token for use we have to click the "use" button:

After you click "use" two things will occur:
The number of "available" Tokens will decrease by one
The value of the Token will be added to your "Token Bucket":

After a short delay, refresh the meter display and the Token data should be visible in your "Token Bucket":

Distinguished Professor IV

This has NOTHING to do with the post update reboot, and everything to do with Win 10 downloading whenever the computer and connection to huges is up.  It can't be stopped, and eats up your FAP and effectively shuts you down.

You could always go with a Linux Distribution. 

Personally have three Windows 10 PCs.  No problems with them eating all of my data.  Other than the most recent month, due to the Anniversary Update, I have never gone over 6GB of Anytime Data and Bonus Bytes in a month, combined.  Again, that's keeping three Windows 10 PCs up to date, along with the non Windows programs, as well. 

It sounds like more than Windows 10 eating your data.  You need to do some digging to find out what it is.   

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Associate Professor

As for tokens being capped... You can thank a very small group of users that purchased thousands of dollars worth in tokens, and refused to pay, saying they never used them or bought that many...  Now there is a monthly cap and one must call in after X amount to be allowed to purchase more...

Thanks for the detailed response.  But the problem is that when you use up your allowance, the connection is so throttled I often can't even reach step one.

Honorary Alumnus

I guess the point is, monitor your rate of usage so that you never FAP in the first place. Secondly, the process illustrated allows you to pre-purchase and stage for use blocks of token data to be automatically used in the event they are needed.
There is no reason to wait until you are already in FAP.

It would be cheaper to move to a better location where you don't need Hughes net. They apparently think computers update only once and that's at the beginning of your service.
Great that they didn't provide any solution to the problem but instead provided the same information that kicrosoft gives you. Internet usage is changing. Hughesnet needs to get their crap service improved.

fictitiousexistence  Get a life.

quote = gwalk900 "I guess the point is, monitor your rate of usage so that you never FAP in the first place."  Can't do that if MS downloads updates automatically.  That's the real point.

"Secondly, the process illustrated allows you to pre-purchase and stage for use blocks of token data to be automatically used in the event they are needed.
There is no reason to wait until you are already in FAP."  YOU CAN DO THIS??? WHERE???  I've always wanted this.

Distinguished Professor IV

Can't do that if MS downloads updates automatically.  That's the real point.

Other than the anniversary update, which was written about for quite some time before it happened, the updates aren't that big, so it's entirely possible.  Nay, entirely doable.  Three W10 PCs here, and even with the anniversary updates on all, still haven't gone over.  Paying attention to usage and data is the "real point". 

YOU CAN DO THIS??? WHERE???  I've always wanted this.
Sign into the dashboard and use "Token Management" or do it through the Status Meter by clicking "Purchase Tokens" on the upper right. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit