cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

East Coast Weather Alert & Tips

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Re: East Coast Weather Alert & Tips

Well, this has un-officially been declaired the second largest single snow-storm to have ever hit Kentucky...  Only beaten out by the 1993 storm by a few inches.

State response has also been horrible, as has county and city for my area...  Historically, they will pretreat the country roads with a brine solution that sticks to the road and helps prevent a lot of accumulation before the trucks get out with blades and the salt... This year, no pre-treatment, and haven't seen a truck in over 24 hours.  Took them several hours after the storm started to send the first, and only truck down this road...  Lot of people complaining about the horrible response seeing as last year the weather was much worse (tempertures about 20 degrees lower, and back to back to back storms resulting in much higher total snowfall) and the fact that while the highway is clear, only 4x4 trucks with chains are able to make it to the highway and nothing else has been touched.

By far, the worst KY has ever had it.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Large area, lower population states are really hurting budget wise these days. And one bad result of lower gas prices is less revenue for each state on top of existing low funds.

Hang in there Charles.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

DC Plows ?

Your tax dollars at work Smiley Happy

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Ehh, since this is a "county" road, our property taxes to the county (about $1300 for my home) generally pays for it.  The state and county both have far more than enough salt after what happened the last two years, as they have been ordering more than normal.  The problem is, they just aren't plowing the roads any...

@ Gwalk - thats about like the mandate in town to clean the sidewalk... You go clean it, then the snow-truck fills it with several feet of snow, then you get a ticket from the court for not cleaning it...  LOL

I think next season I will have chains on the cars and truck so I can get out if needed, state prohibits chains on certain roads, but hell, if they won't clear them and police can't get out to do much, well. Smiley Happy

I am sure most everyone has seen what's happened on I75 here in KY... The sad part is, every road is like that here, and several friends and family members have commented that they haven't seen plows anywhere except on already cleared stretches of road.
Sally Thomas

Hello gang! I just "found" you on FB and see where you have been hiding out (Amanda,sgoshe,Chris). I was searching to see if anyone can give a clue as to why hughesnet email is MIA? It won't take my login, whether via Thunderbird or even on myhughesnet.com webmail. Is there an outage of the email? I am on the West Coast, so your welcome to the storm that left us and headed your way....LOL. Of course, we are used to that stuff here in the mountains of Oregon, but I really feel badly for all the millions of you getting hammered by this nasty storm. I feel silly asking about the email issue, but I just would like to know if it's me or the system which could be having problems due to the storm. I hope ya'all stay safe and ride it out well.
Sally Thomas

Bill, this must have been a temporary glitch with Hughesnet email system because it is now working. I expect the storms are causing problems in all sorts of tech areas. This problem only arose today, and now is gone, so I expect it was weather related.