If you want to live out here.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gokartergo24
Tutor

If you want to live out here.

If you want to live out here. Give Hughesnet a call.  Taken from my Drone..

21 REPLIES 21
Amanda

How beautiful! Where abouts is is this if you don't mind me asking? 

Also... I kinda want to roll down the hills 😄
gokartergo24
Tutor

It is Hollister CA.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

that looks gorgeous!
GabeU

Very nice.  I love living out in the country.  I just bought a new pair of binoculars so I can watch the deer and turkeys in the field, though I often have them in my front yard.  I even have a blue heron that frequents my pond during the summer.  

gokartergo24
Tutor

At the very end of this road is a gate. I did a house about three miles in for Hughesnet. It is one of the largest cattle ranches in Calif..
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Road into my house and last power pole 100 ft from house after fighting with Forest Service to bring in on their road. What an ordeal that was for approval even though an established forest road! (Government land)

Drilling holes for poles through lime stone:

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Snow and ice is the killer. Downpour no problem with 4 wheel drive. Pretty hard packed road.
GabeU

Snow and ice is the killer here, too, though more the snow than ice, as we don't get many ice storms, just a ton of snow.  Right now we have about two feet, though that will melt in the next couple of days.  We have had the main road wash out a couple of times with some nasty floods over the last eight years.  The price of living in the sticks, I guess, but I wouldn't trade it for anything, even FIOS.  Well...maybe if someone offered me a shoe box full of fifties.  LOL.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Two feet would put everything to a stop here in Boston Mountains. Normal is 6 inches at most but it turns to ice the longer it stays with sun during day and freezing at night.

Not had a winter where I'm at. Dusting of snow, 60-70 even in February.
GabeU

Is that your place?  It looks like the kind of place that can be very peaceful.  I love it when I look out and the turkeys strutting by.   

The only thing I have yet to see from my area is coyotes, but I hear them all the time.  

GabeU

We actually get a lot more than that, sometimes, but were used to it here and everyone is equipped to deal with it.  Everyone around here has a four wheel drive.  OTOH, when we get six or seven feet in a few days, everything here comes to a stop, too, but that's quite a rare event.  

The most we normally have at any given time is about three or three and a half feet, but the roads are kept passable.  We have huge plows for the main roads and somewhat smaller plows for the smaller roads like mine, but they still take up two thirds of the road when they come down.  When they encounter a vehicle coming the other way it's a delicate dance to get by.   And in the Spring it's a pain to deal with all of the stone kicked up onto the front lawns from the plows.  

A few times I've actually had to go out and dig around my Hughesnet dish when the snow drifts because it's actually lower to the ground than it's supposed to be.  The bottom of the dish is only about three and a half feet from the ground.  My DirecTV dish, OTOH, is on my roof.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Elk about 20 miles away through the mountains. Lost Valley and Ponca, I have pics buried somewhere. Lots online already.

Turkeys and coyotes a given here. My one old dog (avatar) gets to singing with the coyotes.
GabeU

You live in a beautiful area of the country.  I just looked up the Boston Mountains and I'm impressed.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

We have nothing much for road clearing because we normally have nothing. A few inches brings everything to a halt for half day at least. Even main highway number 7 has switch backs and very steep in spots.

Funny at local grocery when even small winter storm coming. Everyone there stocking up. Sure quiet this year though.
GabeU

A run on milk, bread, bottled water and TP, I'm sure.  LOL.   Non perishable things, too, no doubt.  
maratsade

I just bought a new pair of binoculars so I can watch the deer and turkeys in the field, though I often have them in my front yard.  I even have a blue heron that frequents my pond during the summer. 
How nice! I can see mostly lots of deer grazing in my pasture, and sometimes turkeys in the woods. Lots of turkey buzzards, lots of owls (once there was one sitting on my mailbox -- gorgeous creature), and one time there was a bear in the woods.
maratsade

Not had a winter where I'm at. Dusting of snow, 60-70 even in February.
Very mild winter here, with only a few snow storms that melted very quickly.
GabeU

We have lots of turkey buzzards, too, but I try to avoid looking closely at them as they creep me out.  LOL.  

We have a couple of hawks that we frequently see during the summer, but I have yet to see an owl in a tree or barn, though I hear them occasionally.  With that said, though, a little over ten years ago I saw an owl just sitting on the side of the road.  It was eerily docile.  I went to my folks' home, got a cage that they had for a puppy, then went back and picked it up.  I called a regional animal place and they told me it had probably gotten hit by a car and was stunned, as that would explain it just sitting there and not even attacking me when I picked it up.  I took it there the next day, found out it was a great horned owl,  and called every now and then to ask about it.  They were able to rehab it over a few months and release it.  Although it didn't attack me, it did latch onto my hand at one point when I was moving it and nearly broke my finger.  I never knew how strong they were.

Looking back now I know what I did was REALLY dangerous, but at least it turned out well.

GabeU

Natural lawn maintenance.  Gotta love it!  
maratsade

I love turkey buzzards. There are scads of them here, usually hanging out like a convention of undertakers.  I don't know what type of owl I saw (first one I had ever seen close up -- I can also just hear them) but it looked pretty run of the mill brown. You were lucky the owl you rescued didn't attack you, and it was really kind of you to rescue it. I imagine they're incredibly strong!  I once saved a squirrel that a car had hit (it was also stunned), and as soon as it recovered its bearings it bit my finger.  I also pick up turtles, because drivers like to run them over for "sport."  I take them across the road, in the direction they were going, and drop them off in the woods away from the road.