Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More On Windows 10!

Highlighted
Admin

More On Windows 10!

Starting July 29th, Windows 10 will be available to Windows
7 & 8 users.  Check the “Coming Soon”  blue tab under the top photo on our homepage (www.myhughesnet.com)for more information about planning for the Windows 10 upgrade. 

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted

Re: More On Windows 10!

"setttings" needs only 2 ts.
Highlighted
Admin

Knerkin - So right you are! Thanks for the heads up :-)
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

The "big day" is almost here. I hope those who are upgrading are prepared to manage the data use somehow. If it were me I would try to leave my computer off the internet for the day then connect during Bonus period. Depending on server load it may be hard to even get it done.
I'm definitely passing for now.

Better yet, just don't "reserve" it until Bonus time.
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

It appears that Microsoft may back off the mandatory win10 update stance but it reguires a user to get a download to put it into effect:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsof...
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Interesting, although no mention about people on capped data plans. Will be waiting to see if the package works on the final release.
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Wanna know what's interesting?  The Data Usage in Win10 doesn't keep track of Windows Update seperate from System...  Transfering files over your network looks the exact same to the Network Usage tracker.

Wanna know what's more interesting?  3GB of data lost yesterday because of failed, bad, or flaky updates.

Even more interesting than that, is this...

This applies to ALL Hardware Driver packages...

Then something *slightly* different.

The next downside, it doesn't download just the driver file.  It downloads the full packages, and installs ALL and ANY extras the packages come with.  Fun Fun.
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

That  link in Gwalk's post says driver downloads can be blocked with the package. Guess we'll see, I definitely don't want drivers downloaded and installed automatically. Drivers are something I always manage myself, as you show MS has been know to release some bad ones especially graphics.
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Nope, it doesn't list any of the driver updates, at all for me following those steps.  It's critical and security updates only it seems.  The thing is, the drivers they are pushing to people are BETA and DEVELOPMENTAL, and EXPERIMENTAL drivers that nvidia isn't pushing out to the website for Win10.
Highlighted
New Poster

Heres a link to a story that tells how to block unwanted updates in win 10.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-tool-to-hide-or-block-unwanted-windows-10-updates/?t...