cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More On Windows 10!

Associate Professor

Re: More On Windows 10!

As I said, that tool doesn't work really :\  It shows one, just one update that can be blocked, even after removing the nvidia updates pushed, the program wont show them, even though WU starts to want the update back.
Associate Professor

Those familiar with GPO on Win7 and Win8, in Win10 Pro (ONLY PRO) can modify a few entries in the following area to change Win10 update behavior...

Computer Config > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

Here, you can select "Configure Automatic Updates" and set a scheduled time, as well as how updates are fetched....  If one wants to, they can disable updates entirely by changing both the "Do not connect to any windows update internet locations" as well as "Specify intranet Microsoft update service location"

However, changing these settings unless you are very familiar with how the internal componenets of the OS is very dangerous, and can break many things.  Be careful if you ever venture into the Group Policy Editor, because it's essentially editing the registry directly, and you can, if you select the wrong components, lock your self out of your PC... For good...  Ask me how I know. Smiley Happy

Okay Charles: "How" do you know that?  LOL!
Associate Professor

Well... I managed to lock my self out of a test install of Win7 yesterday while playing with a few policies that you can use to lock a system down...  Was locked out on everything, all I could do was run Internet Explorer, couldn't create users, reset passwords, access task manager, command prompt, control panel, or anything.  Was a fun learning experience, never selecting the two policies that I did yesterday.
Assistant Professor

Honorary Alumnus

Ouch is right.
I suspended playing with the win10 preview version.
Associate Professor

Gwalk900, if you have the ISO of 10240 and want to go to Win10, you can just do the upgrade for it after midnight since the official build is actually build 10240.

I assume the ones with the larger files have multiple things being downloaded that may otherwise need to be downloaded later for Win10 to be fully operational, such as updated drivers and such that Win10 might NEED.  Some people are reporting that the folder had been created ages ago?
New Poster

mine downloaded this morning but it only showed 2.7GB through Bitmeter2
Honorary Alumnus

I would have to check the preview version I have.
I have it on a spare drive for my laptop..... so it goes in and out as time allows.
I really need to load it on a spare drive on my main machine but things have really been consuming my time lately.

Could use a 30 hour day !!! Seems I have little time to play !
New Poster

after doing some checking the history on Bitmeter2 3.5GB downloaded last night