Win10 Download HughesNet Relief

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katie0
Admin

Win10 Download HughesNet Relief

Watch for the WIN 10 download and notice the relief we have put in place.  If you are a Jupiter subscriber, the Win 10 download won’t count against your allowance. If you are a Spaceway-Gen 4 subscriber, we are adding 4GB to your monthly allowance for a limited period to allow for the Win 10 download.

68 REPLIES 68
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Awesome Katie, Thanks
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

That is pretty good of HugheNet, definitely not something you would have to do. But you do still hate your customers, right?   😛
jennifer baker

How do you get the download?
foxbrook
Sophomore

Just noticed that. My son couldn't wait to download it, he's doing it now and the status meter isn't moving. Thanks!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

What version are you on now? Should have had a little tray icon for a couple months to reserve it on lower left of desktop. If not go into Windows Update and there should be a notice there.
You do have all updates for your current version installed?
tiptonps

They sure do; anytime I have called and asked to speak with someone at the next level, the current level associate tells me that the next person will tell me the same thing...and they do. We are just being penalized for being rural customers. And if anyone doesn't believe me, call the nearest cable company and ask what you get for a cheaper price. Generation 4-get about it being any better.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I was being sarcastic, I don't think they do but you're entitled to your opinion. Although I don't like the off shore phone support, I could never do that job.
Katie0
Admin

sgoshe - I'd like to take that last sentence as a playful joke.  I'd love to think that's what it is...no?
tiptonps -  we don't, we really don't.  Maybe we aren't expressing ourselves as intended.  We know we wouldn't have a business without rural customers.  It's just tough to make satellite ground station equipment, home terminals and manage the transmission data for the same price as cable.  Remember, you won't find the cable folks spending the funds needed to go out to the rural areas.
Katie0
Admin

sgoshe - yeah!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Katie, it was definitely a joke. I should know by now some don't get my sense of humor. I thought the tongue out meant being sarcastic but guess not.
foxbrook
Sophomore

If you don't have the tray icon go to here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

click the button for 32 bit or 64 bit, depending on what your system is.
Denise Holcomb1

I plan on doing the download in a couple of months on my HN9000.  I don't want to do it right away.  Will there be relief for it then or do we have to do it right away?  The free download is for a year so I figured i'd wait for some of the bugs to get worked out.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Denise, most of the bugs are actually ironed out, there are still a few minor annoyances, but those are more annoyances for power users that play with deeper components of the OS than an average user will.  The update, if it finds any software on your system that isn't compatible with it, will inform you before you continue... Most Antivirus programs are not compatible, and you will have to wait on your favorite to catch up, but Win10 does have antivirus built in.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Here is a list of Win10 compatible security products:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/windows-10-approved-products/

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

There are always "hitches" in computerdom.

There is the following notice at the bottom of my linked page:

If you should find any issues with an approved product which appear to be related to Windows 10 compatibility, please send us an e-mail describing the problem in detail. We will then notify the respective vendors and recheck

I would suggest passing on any issues that pop up so they can be passed to the software vendors.

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

I had to reinstall malwarebytes after the upgrade to win 10 and is working great now so you might give that a try first Bill
Liz

Hi Denise,

If you've already reserved the upgrade, it has already been downloaded to your computer. It's your decision to install now or wait; please see this initial reaction from one of our techs about the upgrade: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/a-successful-win-10-download-experience

I also just found this interesting article about Windows pushing updates prior to Win 10 launch day: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/28/windows-10-automatic-download/

If you have a Gen 4 plan on your HN9000, we have temporarily increased your data allowance to handle the upgrade.

Hope that helps.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

JacksonTech

Wow, very generous!

I should get onboard the Windows 10 train...but my Windows machines are heavily encumbered with all my teaching/development software, and with the semester ramping up soon, I don't have the time to work around incompatibilities and bugs. 😞
tommillican

Any relief for those of us not on Gen 4 plan? We got slammed by the automatic download yesterday, on a laptop I did not realize was on. I have reset Windows update settings to only notify, not download; and so far no surprises. I have already tried starting the download at 2am and stopping it at 6am; planned to resume at 2am tonight but apparently Microsoft programmers do not know the difference between stop and cancel. Not sure what my recourse is now.
Edit: Good news re; Microsoft programmers... seems they DO know the difference between stop and cancel; they just aren't very good communicators. Re-started the Win10 download tonight and the 31% was still there. Only two more nights to go, I suppose; then, only two more machines to update. 😞