cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win10 Download HughesNet Relief

Re: Win10 Download HughesNet Relief

Any relief for those of us not on Gen 4 plan? We got slammed by the automatic download yesterday, on a laptop I did not realize was on. I have reset Windows update settings to only notify, not download; and so far no surprises. I have already tried starting the download at 2am and stopping it at 6am; planned to resume at 2am tonight but apparently Microsoft programmers do not know the difference between stop and cancel. Not sure what my recourse is now.
Edit: Good news re; Microsoft programmers... seems they DO know the difference between stop and cancel; they just aren't very good communicators. Re-started the Win10 download tonight and the 31% was still there. Only two more nights to go, I suppose; then, only two more machines to update. Smiley Sad
Tutor

I did the W10 upgrade on one computer last night and was quite confused until I found this thread. This is very nice of you Hughes. Thanks!

", we need the jobs here and there are lots of companies like the one I work for that run VCCs with workers like me working from home.."

Yep!!! I would do that from home and I worked Technical Support for 12 years and speak pretty good English for a Southerner.  I would be nice if HughesNet would see straight to do that.  It would be better for the Customers and save the Company some bucks running a Call Center is very expensive.

Denise

Just download the .iso and wait

Meanwhile, every time I try it just says "we're working on it" (and that has continued for 12 hours at a stretch!)  How does one get it to actually download in the Bonus Bytes period?

I am thinking of making another Image of my Windows 7 Enterprise partition on a separate HD  and installing Windows 7 Pro from my DVD and then giving 10 a try just to check it out.  If I like it I will keep it but if it interferers with my Linux partition or my grub boot it will be gone in a second and I'll restore my windows 7 Enterprise.  But like I said just thinking about it it is hard to get me away from Mint 17.2 it works. 

barbarakay

NoDoze and Coffee helps

Well even with the coffee (NoDoz contraindicated by other meds) I do have a real world life and am uneasy leaving the cat in charge of a running computer!
Freshman

The hidden file MS is downloading WIN10 is C:\$Windows.~BT. It is still downloading, already at over 4 GB. I told MS to not load WIN10. I guess they ignored it. I have three computers eligible so HNS' 4 GB isn't going to cut it. I was hoping to just download it to a CD and then install it manually. Grrr!
And my Status meter doesn't show that 4GB allowance at all. I am already way over my usual usage and had wondered where it was coming from. Apparently thru this WIN10.
How do I get this 4GB from HNS?
Freshman

Now close to 6GB.