Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COVID-19 and HughesNet...

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: COVID-19 and HughesNet...

@ChrisBaker 

Then instead of wasting your time posting on a thread concerning COVID-19 and HughesNet's reaction to it, you should start your own thread asking for help.  And those same reps will need speed test results

BTW, you can always cancel the service, pay the Early Termination Fee and be on your way.

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@ChrisBaker wrote:

Bah, what's the point of bickering with you about it. I don't really care what you think, guess I'm just venting about how unreliable this service has been for us, all along. It's the only aspect of living in a rural area that I dislike, having to resort to this collection of sticks and tinfoil for internet connectivity.

I agree.  You should start the new thread as suggested for your issue and leave this thread to its inteneded purpose.

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Freshman

"To help improve your experience, with so many working and studying at home, we’ve increased the speed you receive if you exceed the amount of data in your monthly service plan. In addition, we’ve optimized network traffic to prioritize educational and business collaboration software, especially during daytime hours. These changes went into effect today to help improve network performance during this time of high demand."

Well gee, it looks like they did the impossible.

I appreciate it. The service is still rough, generally speaking, but I appreciate concrete action in line with other internet service providers, to the extent the technology platform allows.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

"I appreciate concrete action in line with other internet service providers, to the extent the technology platform allows."

Ditto.

Highlighted

@ChrisBaker wrote:

I understand exactly how the technology works.

I don't know what kind of experience you have, but when Hughes decides we are out of data, it is absolutely nonfunctional. I can't get a github page to load, pulls and pushes fail and timeout, jira pages won't load.... it's not functional. It goes from barely adequate to effectively nothing. I'm not talking about just during the last few weeks, that's the end of every single month for us. We already can't wait for our contract to run out, carrier pigeons would be more worth the money than this is but I'm not paying a termination fee.

One time, we were throttled because my kids were home for a school holiday and ate up all the cap. I had to drive to a nearby city to get on a McDonald's wifi to push my code for the day. When I'm working from home and the kids are doing school from home, with the current caps in place, we'll hit that point weeks earlier. We've got 10 days in our billing period, we're already completely out.

This company charged me money for six months for modem lease while I was not living in my house due to a fire. I view it as the least they could do is ensure I can do my job.

I can't get Github to work at all and my data allowance is just fine right now. If they are throttling me it isn't because I maxed out my data cap.

This is severly affecting my ability to work on projects.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

You're not being throttled. It's congestion caused by severe overload of the internet nationwide. The whole world is in the middle of a crisis, and it's affecting everyone. 

ackwilliambell wrote:

I can't get Github to work at all and my data allowance is just fine right now. If they are throttling me it isn't because I maxed out my data cap.

This is severly affecting my ability to work on projects.

Highlighted
Freshman

I'm not going to lie, I would like more data as ours seems to disappear very rapidly. However, I know what it would mean for everyone if they removed the data cap. I do think they are pretty high on their pricing for their packages. I only have it because it is really all I can get in my area. I constantly have lagging service and constant buffering and no signal pop ups when it shows excellent signal. And forget about streaming anything because it takes twice the time to watch anything because of the buffering. Even when we are at the beginning of our data cycle. Wish I could just drop it, but still have most of my contract left. Feels like we are on 3mbps all of the time.
Highlighted

@maratsade wrote:

You're not being throttled. It's congestion caused by severe overload of the internet nationwide. The whole world is in the middle of a crisis, and it's affecting everyone.

Sorry, but the problem existed before now, it isn't new to me or unique to me. Moreover, people not on Hughesnet are not seeing this problem, I checked.

Highlighted
Freshman

I knew I wasn't being throttled. For some reason though my connection just sucks. It shows as an excellent connection, but no matter what amount of data I have left for the month I have real slow internet and constant buffering. If I connect to my modem on my phone, it will say internet not available but also show full signal and it is extremely slow. If I turn off my wifi and use my mobile data it is tremendously faster. Keep in mind that I am in the forest and for my phone I use a cell phone booster antenna. I usually get about 3-4 bars. Sometimes lower depending on where I am and sometimes 5 bars. At any rate, my HN is very slow both on wifi and ethernet as well. But I do know I'm not being throttled.
Highlighted
Freshman

Also, this has been going on from pretty much day one before this whole COVID-19 madness even began.