Decent Speeds...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Decent Speeds...

I know that it's late at night, but it's been quite some time since I've seen speeds like this, even at this time of night.  And I have no illusions that it's going to last, but it's still nice to see it once in a while.  

And, while I know that Hughes and TMN have issues with each other right now, so the results can't be relied on to be accurate, it's the first time in over a month that I've had a speed of at least 40Mbps on TMN, no matter the time of day.  

Edit:  Re-edit:  I edited the wrong post.  LOL.   

TMN.JPG

Speedtest.JPG

Hughes Speed.JPG

Further, so far, at least for me, Speedtest seems to be the most accurate when it comes to the download test, and TMN seems to be the most accurate for upload tests.  And I know that Speedtest sometimes doesn't want to run, but I've found that waiting for at least twenty or so seconds after going to their page helps when running the test.  It also helps to pick a server that's close to your gateway.  This eliminates the test having to search for a server each time you run it.  Luckily, there is a server right in my gateway "city" of Roseburg, OR.  

52 REPLIES 52
GabeU

@bare65

I knew about the planned expansion notices they are sending to those who are very affected, and while it might be related to those expansions, I just didn't expect it so quickly, especially considering the fact that neither my beam, nor my gateway, has been noted as being one of whose that has been severely affected.  Worst affected, like you, first served, I figured.  

Then again, it is possible that it's ticking back up due to the expansions beginning to have an effect on the entire system, like you mentioned, but again, I just didn't expect anything so quickly.  

With this said, it seems like it's a bit slower today, but we'll see.  And I certainly hope that yours improves, or course.  I'd just about be pulling my hair out with speeds like yours.  😞  

@bare65

She is back to being a happy camper which is quite the turn around from just three weeks ago.

Amen!  You can certainly say that again!  Don't give up.  It's coming.  I think Amanda an Liz have

your case numbers.  If this can be done for a few and according to their own letter, it will be done for 

everyone with speed issues and you my friend, certainly qualify as having speed issues!  I can't wait for the 

day I see you report a 45Mbps download at 4:30 PM.  And if I'm not here to see it, you know how to reach me 🙂

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID7
Beam ID93
Outroute ID1

Am I in any of the troubled spots?

GabeU

@monicakm wrote:
Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID7
Beam ID93
Outroute ID1

Am I in any of the troubled spots?

I haven't noticed any widespread issues being discussed with beam 93.  BTW, your Gateway is in Duluth, MN, in case you were wondering.

@monicakm@GabeU

I have to be honest..the jealousy bug has hit me hard here these past few day reading how your own speeds have dramatically improved again...

Ya see, prior to upgrading to Gen 5, I was on the Spaceway 3 satellite using a HN9000 modem (for several years), and before that we had Wild Blue (30 day rolling period and all that fun stuff...)

With our Hughesnet service, even though I was technically considered a Gen 4 customer, my 'advertised' up to speeds were only up to 5 Mbps...on good days, I might of seen around 8 Mbps.

As a Spaceway 3 customer using the HN9000 modem (which had numerous problems in itself), we didn't have smart browsing and the highest plan available was 10 GB anytime, 10 GB bonus. Our location puts us outside of the Jupiter 1 / Echostar 17 satellite...and if we FAP'd..we were SOL as accessing the internet at all..even emailing, was dam near impossible.

I was always concerned about running out of my 10 GB data and did everything humanly possible to conserve my data...as this is really a lifeline for us to the outside world. We also have no house phones out here, and no cell phone reception...

We had heard rumors that this awesome new satellite, Echostar 19 / Jupiter 2 was being launched, offering speeds of 25 Mbps, along with 50 GB of bonus data and unlike Jupiter 1, we would be able to upgrade to this new satellite once it became available.

Well sure enough..we received word that we would be able to upgrade to Gen 5.

I didn't upgrade right away. I was actually very hesitant, and went back and forth talking to Liz and other members in the community for several weeks about it first before deciding to take a leap of faith..

I think it was around May or June 2017 that we upgraded...and sure enough, right through the end of November our speeds were AWESOME. We had no problems connecting other devices via the built in router/wifi and never had any issues with our data..every little kb and mb was being accounted for...

The fact that, even if we were to be throttled, we could continue to do basic surfing, emailing etc had me tickled pink, although it actually wasn't until November that we actually went over our 10 GB data limit...the first time EVER.

I remember when it happened too...my son had come home for Thanksgiving and of course, connecting his phone to our HT2000w and using up all of the data, lol....I was sick knowing that I was going to FAP for the first time ever and worried that the next morning I would not be able to access the internet..

To my surprise, not only was I able to continue using the internet, but my 'throttled' speeds were higher than what I had been getting on the Spaceway 3 / Gen 4 plan.

go figure...

then..overnight, toward the end of November, beginning of December, we went from 30+ Mbps download speeds to under 5 Mbps, and then...after the outage on Jan 1st/2nd....that's when our speeds took an even bigger nosedive, down into the weee Kbps range.

Our speeds just simply never recovered from that point.

For over 6 months, I got a taste of those wonderful 'faster Gen 5 speeds' and then suddenly it was gone, taken away...no explaination as to why, or even any kind of an acknowledgement from hughesNet that there was a problem. 

These past few days, again, while not admmitting any 'fault' or acknowledging that a problem actually exist, slowly but surely, Hughesnet does seem to be getting a little more transparent (through mostly private discussions, one on one customer messaging) on how they are dealing with these issues at hand.

After a recent discussion with Liz via message this afternoon, I am hopeful that, I too, will start to see those wonderful Gen 5 speeds that I had before all of this started...if not now..hopefully by March.

Here is my latest speed test..taken about 30 or so minutes ago.

hn1.png

keep your fingers crossed guys..I want to be the next person bragging about my newly recovered lightning fast Gen 5 speeds...and believe me, you will all be the first to know, LMAO!

@bare65

I know it has to be hard to see these numbers and I gave it some thought before I posted them and the letter from HN.  But thought, you know, if I were in their shoes (and I was!) I'd like to know that help might be just around the corner and what I had to look forward to.  Also, maybe, just maybe, it might put a little more pressure on HN to know that people are aware there IS a FIX.  The squeaky wheel get's oiled.  I'm not q about not quiet about not getting what I'm paying for.  So do what you have to do to get their attention.  I'm sure the ladies here have a lot to deal with.  If you don't hear back from them in a reasonable amt of time, contact them again!  Find the number to corporate and call.  You shouldn't be paying for service you're not getting.  It doesn't hurt to ask.  If they don't offer a credit, tell them what you'd like in the way of a credit.

A little better today...

hn1.png

11 Mbps download speeds at 2.20pm is encouraging to see and with any hope, this is just a sneak preview of good things yet to come...

If nothing else, it's certainly a lot better than being in the Kbps range and I should be able to get my work done this weekend if these speeds continue...

*keeping fingers crossed*

@GabeU

I used to be on Outroute 3 on Beam 68. Been on new Outroute 10 for seems like ages. It's not half the bandwidth like 7, but is still slightly reduced capacity from a normal channel.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

@GabeU

I used to be on Outroute 3 on Beam 68. Been on new Outroute 10 for seems like ages. It's not half the bandwidth like 7, but is still slightly reduced capacity from a normal channel.

It seems like I've been on 7 for longer than normal, but it's working well enough, at least for now.  Maybe being on 7 right now is planned, rather than the norm of being as a result of something.  Maybe it enables them to better work on the system.  If that's the case, I'm perfectly fine with it, as knowing that they're working on the system is a good thing.  🙂   

@GabeU

I see that elusive 50+ speed!!!  YaY Gabe and HN!!!  I hope every single one of you will sooner or later (preferably SOONER) start to see the BIG upswing in speeds that some of us are seeing.  I don't think Iv'e been more infuriated at a company in all my 58(I'm really 26 but just play a 58yo on the Internet :smileywink: ) years as I've been with HN but at times like this, when they make it right, all is forgiven :smileyvery-happy:  Just KEEP IT UP!

GabeU

@monicakm wrote:

@GabeU

I see that elusive 50+ speed!!!  YaY Gabe and HN!!!  I hope every single one of you will sooner or later (preferably SOONER) start to see the BIG upswing in speeds that some of us are seeing.  I don't think Iv'e been more infuriated at a company in all my 58(I'm really 26 but just play a 58yo on the Internet :smileywink: ) years as I've been with HN but at times like this, when they make it right, all is forgiven :smileyvery-happy:  Just KEEP IT UP!

Yep.  I usually delete results like that as they're normally caused by the test messing up in the beginning.  But, overall, it's been decent over the last few days.  A little slower today, but they can't all be great days.  I just hope that they overall speed remains better than it has been, and for others to start seeing it, too.  🙂 

This is from that particular test, so you can see why I just went back and deleted the result...

Capture.JPG