cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decent Speeds...

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Re: Decent Speeds...

I guess as a Gen 4 person my expectations are lower. Generally get around 10 Mbps and higher during peak time and up to +30 Mbps during off peak. WIfe and I can do what we want downloading a file, streaming is still pretty snappy.

Suppose 40+ Mbps would be nice but I'm not that impatient when downloading. Can see where that speed would definitely be a positive for a family of 3-4 plus all online at the same time doing YouTube, Facebook, even lower def Netflix.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@BirdDog wrote:

I guess as a Gen 4 person my expectations are lower. Generally get around 10 Mbps and higher during peak time and up to +30 Mbps during off peak. WIfe and I can do what we want downloading a file, streaming is still pretty snappy.

Suppose 40+ Mbps would be nice but I'm not that impatient when downloading. Can see where that speed would definitely be a positive for a family of 3-4 plus all online at the same time doing YouTube, Facebook, even lower def Netflix.

No doubt, and unless one were pressed for time and downloading a large file, the difference between 10Mbps and 40Mbps really wouldn't be noticeable for anything else.  There really isn't anything I can do at 40Mbps that I can't do at 10Mbps just as well, or even 5Mbps, for that matter.  I'm just a little shocked at that spread.  With a low speed being that low you wouldn't expect the high to be that high, or at least not compared to what's been seen over the last few months when someone has speeds that reach that low.  And with the beam expansions seemingly happening and the overall speed going up, you wouldn't expect the low to still get that low, or at least not for those who are seeing their speed go up. 

With this said, I just checked my speed a little while ago and it was VERY low compared to what it has been over the last couple of weeks during the same time period.      

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
bare65
Advanced Tutor

@GabeU

Over these past few days (4 or so days) I'm starting to see a pattern of good times, not so good times..and then downright lousy,

oh look..a snail!

Picture_104.jpghn1.png

I've been making good use of the 'good speeds'..and getting the majority of my work done during this time.

One things for sure...I'm thankful that these higher speeds are being observed during better hours of the day (between the hours of 9am and 3pm)

This is certainly better than having to wake up at 2am for some decent speeds in order to get my work done...

My beauty sleep was being seriously impacted for a while there...lol

Even with my current, slower download speeds, 218 Kbps, I can, like you said, do 'some' things...like browse forums, catch up on my current affairs, email and all that good stuff. As long as my activty doesn't involve any type of 'streaming', video feed, or downloading of large file or updates, or browsing websites that contain large images etc..it's works good enough.

Either way you look at it..things are improving, slowly but surely.