Decent Speeds...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Decent Speeds...

I know that it's late at night, but it's been quite some time since I've seen speeds like this, even at this time of night.  And I have no illusions that it's going to last, but it's still nice to see it once in a while.  

And, while I know that Hughes and TMN have issues with each other right now, so the results can't be relied on to be accurate, it's the first time in over a month that I've had a speed of at least 40Mbps on TMN, no matter the time of day.  

Edit:  Re-edit:  I edited the wrong post.  LOL.   

TMN.JPG

Speedtest.JPG

Hughes Speed.JPG

Further, so far, at least for me, Speedtest seems to be the most accurate when it comes to the download test, and TMN seems to be the most accurate for upload tests.  And I know that Speedtest sometimes doesn't want to run, but I've found that waiting for at least twenty or so seconds after going to their page helps when running the test.  It also helps to pick a server that's close to your gateway.  This eliminates the test having to search for a server each time you run it.  Luckily, there is a server right in my gateway "city" of Roseburg, OR.  

52 REPLIES 52
bare65
Advanced Tutor

@monicakm@GabeU@MarkJFine@maratsade

Look Mama! I'm goin' FAST!

hn1.pnghn2.png

Two days in a row I've had speeds like this...

very encouraging Smiley Very Happy

Woohoo!  Congratulations!  Hope others are seeing better speeds too 🙂

@monicakm

pfffftttt...

I guess I spoke too soon.

hn2.png

199 Kbps??? CRAP!

How frustrating for you!  Maybe, just maybe HN is working on it.  When is the last time you've seen d/l speeds this fast?

@monicakm

Again..my bluntness is showing, but my spider senses are tingling...and given the private message I just received from you, I would prefer that you did not concern yourself with my download speed issues any longer as it is very obvious that your intentions within this community is merely to create disruption between customers and HughesNet....and I do not wish to be part of your scheme.

Well, that's bloody unfortunate. Sorry that had to happen @bare65

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine

no worries...

on a happier note, my download speeds are back up again this morning.

I'm thinking that when I re-checked my speeds yesterday around 5pm, this was probably due to 'peak' time congestion more so than anything else...

I'll test that theory by running another test again tonight around 5pm..

As of 10am this morning though things are looking good..and it's nice to see both HN Speed Test & TestMy.net results finally in sync with each other again.

hn1.png

I'm enjoying the faster speeds now...and completing my own online CBT's sure is a lot easier when the speeds are cooperating.

hubby is having a heck of a time learning the in and outs of the new ELD's / CDL requirements (his ELD is not cooperating) so I was finally able to download a large training app for him too.

Glad you're getting what you need done.

It's going to drop during peak time, especially with what people are using it for these days - I'm convinced of that every time I hear someone complain they can't do something it really wasn't meant to do. It's not optimum, but it is what it is, and for many of us it's still the only option.

As you've seen, I've seen that it's best for me to find a way to do what I can and work/schedule around those limitations. That's a lot better than to try to continually fight something you have no control over and/or look for someone/something to blame - which unfortunately, many have resorted to. Statement of society in general these days I guess.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine

I completely agree with you...

Living out in the middle of nowhere myself (literally, 100 miles from anything in any direction) I'm just happy that we have a satellite option as we have no other options out this way..no land lines, no cell service, no cable, dsl or other internet options.

These past 6 weeks or so I find myself conducting business during the wee hours of the night/morning...

is it a pain in the butt?..sure it is (I need my beauty sleep like the next person, lol) BUT..it's doable.

Like you mentioned, we learn to work around our limitations...

plus those 'valium' smoothies that @maratsade has been making helps me to accomplish a lot...

Normally I look like this in the wee hours, haha

Untitled.png

Filing complaints with certain agencies, cursing out HughesNet employees or fellow subscribers, and/or deliberatley trying to disrupt a support community is not going to make my speeds, or anyone's speed for that matter any faster.

GabeU

bare65 wrote: 

I guess I spoke too soon.

hn2.png

199 Kbps??? CRAP!

That is one heck of a drop.   To have it be that good and then get that low....wow.  Before my speeds started kicking back up I would sometimes see peak speeds dipping to the 300Kbps range, but my best speeds were in the teen Mbps range, for the most part, with a 20 or 30 being quite rare.  To see such a spread is crazy.   I feel for you.  Though you can still do some things at 199Kbps, you're definitely a bit more limited.  😞  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I guess as a Gen 4 person my expectations are lower. Generally get around 10 Mbps and higher during peak time and up to +30 Mbps during off peak. WIfe and I can do what we want downloading a file, streaming is still pretty snappy.

Suppose 40+ Mbps would be nice but I'm not that impatient when downloading. Can see where that speed would definitely be a positive for a family of 3-4 plus all online at the same time doing YouTube, Facebook, even lower def Netflix.

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

I guess as a Gen 4 person my expectations are lower. Generally get around 10 Mbps and higher during peak time and up to +30 Mbps during off peak. WIfe and I can do what we want downloading a file, streaming is still pretty snappy.

Suppose 40+ Mbps would be nice but I'm not that impatient when downloading. Can see where that speed would definitely be a positive for a family of 3-4 plus all online at the same time doing YouTube, Facebook, even lower def Netflix.

No doubt, and unless one were pressed for time and downloading a large file, the difference between 10Mbps and 40Mbps really wouldn't be noticeable for anything else.  There really isn't anything I can do at 40Mbps that I can't do at 10Mbps just as well, or even 5Mbps, for that matter.  I'm just a little shocked at that spread.  With a low speed being that low you wouldn't expect the high to be that high, or at least not compared to what's been seen over the last few months when someone has speeds that reach that low.  And with the beam expansions seemingly happening and the overall speed going up, you wouldn't expect the low to still get that low, or at least not for those who are seeing their speed go up. 

With this said, I just checked my speed a little while ago and it was VERY low compared to what it has been over the last couple of weeks during the same time period.      

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@GabeU

Over these past few days (4 or so days) I'm starting to see a pattern of good times, not so good times..and then downright lousy,

oh look..a snail!

Picture_104.jpghn1.png

I've been making good use of the 'good speeds'..and getting the majority of my work done during this time.

One things for sure...I'm thankful that these higher speeds are being observed during better hours of the day (between the hours of 9am and 3pm)

This is certainly better than having to wake up at 2am for some decent speeds in order to get my work done...

My beauty sleep was being seriously impacted for a while there...lol

Even with my current, slower download speeds, 218 Kbps, I can, like you said, do 'some' things...like browse forums, catch up on my current affairs, email and all that good stuff. As long as my activty doesn't involve any type of 'streaming', video feed, or downloading of large file or updates, or browsing websites that contain large images etc..it's works good enough.

Either way you look at it..things are improving, slowly but surely.

GabeU

@maratsade

I'm sorry, but a spinach smoothie reminds me of a cow chewing its cud.  Just...yuck.  

maratsade

I used to think the same thing, @GabeU, until I had a spinach smoothie.   I make the smoothie with orange juice, water, banana, and spinach.  You can't taste the spinach at all but you get good nutrients from  it. As a bonus, you can gross people out who think it tastes disgusting.

GabeU

Well, I'd say that Hughes' test is just a tad bit off....

This was actually at 10:03PM, not 7:03PM.

Capture1.JPG

Immediately following the above...

Capture.JPG

Immdiately following the above.  3.2MBps is equivalent to 25.6Mbps.

Capture2.JPG

Edit:  Decided to add the following...

Capture3.JPG

And immediately following the Speedtest test above...

Capture4.JPG

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@GabeU

Sorry..but I'm going to have to disagree with you with regards to the HughesNet speed test being "a tad off"

Based on my own internet capabilities this evening and this entire past week, I think HughesNet speed test is spot on.

My last test taken about 20 or so minutes ago...289 Kbps

hn1.png

I'm unable to run ANY type of streaming content, be it u-tube or other video feed at higher than 144p without it immediatley and constantly pausing and buffering and instead, I get a little pop up notification from u-tube saying "experiencing slow speeds?"

When I open a webpage containing a lot of graphics/photos, those images will take considerably longer to download...gradually being displayed in real time.

I'm unable to complete my training courses because each page/slide is taking several minutes to load..this or the entire course will simply time out.

Keep in mind, unlike a lot of other folks..I do not have any additional devices connected to my modem.

I'm using a desktop computer which is directly connected to the HT2000w via ethernet cable and these tests results are based on that.

So sure...at 289 Kbps, I can still access the internet and access basic webpages containing very few graphics, email etc....but that's about all I can do without sitting here watching the wheels spins on my screen...

animation-loading-circle-icon-on-white-background-with-alpha-channel-4k-video_signndt9ox_thumbnail-small01.jpg

Upload speeds...no problems there, but it's a sad state of affairs when they are way faster than my download speeds.

When you have absolutley NO other choices available to you...the only thing you can do is just suck it up, hope that things start improving again and be thankful for the $20 credit on your next 3 bill cycles. (it's better than no credit at all right?)

GabeU

@bare65 wrote:

@GabeU

Sorry..but I'm going to have to disagree with you with regards to the HughesNet speed test being "a tad off"

Based on my own internet capabilities this evening and this entire past week, I think HughesNet speed test is spot on. 

Well, in my example I was being a bit comical with the description of a "tad bit" off.  It's actually horrendously off, at least for me.  Then again, more often than not the HughesNet test has been way off for me.    

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@maratsade

just stopping by for my daily dose of valium and smoothie...LMAO!

Unfortunately, the valium isn't doing it for me these days so I've decided to switch over to

Jim Beam '72 is Broken' Smoothies

I'll be sure to make enough to go around..Smiley Tongue

cc76b60664d4912c0cd09bfe2c46a141.jpg

GabeU

Wow.  I don't know if they changed something, but it sure seems like it. Since the evening of the 28th my speeds have been much better.  And I know two days isn't long enough to really tell, but something sure seems different.  I'm also getting speeds like this on Speedtest, but this is easier to post.   

Edit:  I'm currently connected via Outroute ID 7, so I hope it's still the same when it reverts to a normal Outroute ID.  

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

bare65
Advanced Tutor

Well, according to @monicakm, and the ongoing communication she has been apparently receiving from Hughesnet and posting about here within the community, "Hughes engineers are actively setting up processes to open new capacity in several Gen5 regions. This expansion will optimize performance across the entire network."

Letter & Phone Call From HN Promising A Fix For Our Slow Speeds

This expansion has apparently worked exceptionally well for Monica based on her most recent speed test results. She is back to being a happy camper which is quite the turn around from just three weeks ago.

Although this is certainly not anything I've been told by Hughesnet and/or experienced with regards to my own download speed issues, I certainly remain hopeful that any expansion being performed by Hughesnet engineers covers my particular region (Gateway 8, Beam 72) as well...

(remaining hopeful being my only choice at this point)

@GabeU

Perhaps this expansion is also why you are seeing improved download speeds on your end....

Only one can hope that this expansion does, indeed, optimize performance across the ENTIRE network like Hughesnet is saying.

Currently, as of 8.10am this morning, my download speeds is a whopping 1.95 Mbps.

forget the smoothies..just pass the entire bottle of Jim Beam over here LOL! Smiley Tongue