Gen5 since late March.....

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Gen5 since late March.....

A slight dip lately?A slight dip lately?

28 REPLIES 28
GabeU

B13g56Avx.png

Pretty good for this time of night, though it is Sunday night and there are probably much less people online.  0103 on Outroute ID 2.  

Will be in FAP by midnight.  About 10 days in.  Permanent less than FAP speeds here anyway so it does not really matter until Hughes fixes this Beam 55 issue.  Makes it worse when you actually fall into FAP too.  Right now I am not in FAP but getting 221K speeds this Sunday night just before 10PM.  Feel thankful you are not on a beam made of swiss cheese like us Beam55ers.  Kind of like Area 55 with less aliens.  TJ

testmyspeed.png

GabeU

@macsociety wrote:

Will be in FAP by midnight.  About 10 days in.  Permanent less than FAP speeds here anyway so it does not really matter until Hughes fixes this Beam 55 issue.  Makes it worse when you actually fall into FAP too.  Right now I am not in FAP but getting 221K speeds this Sunday night just before 10PM.  Feel thankful you are not on a beam made of swiss cheese like us Beam55ers.  Kind of like Area 55 with less aliens.  TJ

testmyspeed.png

That's awful.  

maratsade

TJ ,when you're in FAP, what's your speed?  @macsociety

@maratsade wrote:

TJ ,when you're in FAP, what's your speed?  @macsociety

I started Gen 5 Sept 27th...  By October 10th or so I went into FAP the 1st time.  During the morning I was getting 1.2Mbps and very happy.   I thought wow, compared to Gen 4 in FAP, Gen 5 would be quite nice!  But by late afternoon into evening I was falling down into 150K range down and a measly 15K up.  I am on Beam 55.

My free 3GB free tokens Hughes just gave us all for the outage popped in so I guess I am not in FAP yet although I used all my 20GB by last night at 11PMish.  Will take about 1.5 days and I will be in FAP again and can test things again.  Guessing since out of FAP I been only getting 500K during the day and 200K at night, things should look worse soon.

TJ

@BirdDog wrote:

Also awake before 8 AM most mornings so download lots then during Bonus time.

I'm generally up 5-6 or so. Morning Bonus time 'heavy lifting' for me is:
1. Update iphone/ipad apps, which now have be done per device (thanks, Apple).

2. Check for Apple Store updates.

3. Check for other application updates in MacUpdate.

4. Check for podcasts in iTunes.

5. Check for Homebrew updates (Linux-like things built for macOS).

6. Update Office mid-way, second week of the month.

7. Check if there's anything interesting on Usenet (yeah, still).

8. Check for Fedora and Parallels VM Updates.

It's amazing how much data all these things eat, but it's all done in about 15-30' because of the good morning speeds; and I too never run out of Bonus, or Anytime for that matter. Usually it's the iOS apps that kill you because there can be between 7-10 to update on average per day. Some update weekly, which is absolutely ridiculous.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Mark, are you saying end streaming of any quality video? That includes netflix, YouTube, etc. ?

TJ

I'm saying the reason why they included the video optimizer in the first place was to save data, but I'm pretty sure it was also to discourge users from automatically streaming anything above 360p.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.