Hughesnet Community

Got a Green Thumb?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jay

Got a Green Thumb?

Because today is National Plant a Flower Day! It seems a bit early for this, but it's been an exceptionally warm winter (at least where we're at). Each year this day is dedicated to the planting of flowers and looking forward to the spring season. 

Image result for flowers

If you are way up North, you can still participate by planting a potted flower! If you aren't sure what to plant, you can always plant Marigolds or Daffodils which are the flowers of March.

Do you plant flowers each year? If so, show us some pictures of your home-grown gardens and if not, this might be the year to start! Here are some great tips for beginners looking to start their own flower garden.

https://www.gardendesign.com/how-to/start-a-flower-garden.html

-Jay

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The wife unit plants flowers, but they're not out yet, so no pics available.  In the past, we've also planted food gardens (tomatoes, green beans, okra), though we haven't for a couple of years. 

Liz

I'm so ready to see some flowers... means that winter is finally on its way out! (Not looking forward to the pollen tho)

Didn't inherit my mom's penchant for plants and gardening, but I don't mind looking at some of the weird ones she gets... like this one:

roots.png

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

What plant is that, @Liz ?

maratsade

i lied. I forgot the little African violet that's on the desk, and which is blooming right now, though only one out of five blossoms is open. The photo doesn't do it justice -- the flower is purple, not blue. 

IMG_0063a.jpg

That's a pretty little flower, too! I was just telling Jay earlier that my mom had A LOT of African violets which she propagated over a long time. However, there was some cold snap or something that happened a few years ago and killed them all. T__T

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

maratsade

Oh no, poor violets!  They like to be rootbound, and they need warmth, not too much humidity, and water only once a week, and if they get that they tend to be pretty sturdy.  The cold, direct sun, or a lot of water will kill them, though.  They're also super easy to propagate, so it's easy to get carried away.  I only have the one.  Personally, I'd rather have fake silk plants, but the violet was given to me by a client and I promised I'd be a good plant parent. LOL

Aww! Well like you said, they're pretty sturdy and don't need to be watered that often so you should be ok! I just remember having to water more than a dozen African violets and other potted plants when my parents were out of town... she really likes plants haha

-Liz

@maratsade wrote:

What plant is that, @Liz ?

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's a ficus ginseng bonsai tree. It's weirdly cute.

-Liz

maratsade

I looked it up and you're right, that's what it is!  I think it's beautiful, though the roots are a bit creepy. 🙂

@Liz wrote:

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's a ficus ginseng bonsai tree. It's weirdly cute.

-Liz