Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy Pi Day (3.14)!

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Happy Pi Day (3.14)!

PISYMBOL.jpg

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Re: Happy Pi Day (3.14)!

Celebrate Pi by eating pie. 

pi-day.jpg

Highlighted
Teaching Assistant

It's amazing how Archimedes discovered PI without a computer. Today we can't work without a screen in front of our face.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Reggie wrote:

It's amazing how Archimedes discovered PI without a computer. Today we can't work without a screen in front of our face.

Too true, unfortunately,  I'm amazed at kids being allowed to use devices in school to do their math for them these days.  We weren't even allowed to use a calculator. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

We were only allowed to use slide rules -- which of course, most everyone had no idea how to use.

slide-rule.jpg

Highlighted

Ahhhh I missed pi day! (I made waffles tho... so at least I had something sweet?).

I think I've seen a slide ruler once growing up, never did learn how those work. LOL I also wonder how an abacus is used... time to hit up Google.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted

1. Never to late to eat pie.

2. I could never figure out a slide rule.....I'm told only engineers understand those. 

4. I remember at one point learning about how an abacus worked. Maybe it was history class? But it didn't stick to my brain at all. And then calculators came, and that was all she wrote. 

Highlighted

Speaking of calculators... schools should definitely loan out their own TI-82s or whatever model they're using these days. We had to spend all that money on a fancy graphing calculator to use in a couple classes and NEVER TOUCH IT AGAIN.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted

"We had to spend all that money on a fancy graphing calculator to use in a couple classes and NEVER TOUCH IT AGAIN."

This.

Yes, ditto, ditto. What the fudge?  They were so expensive, and we used it twice. 

Highlighted
Teaching Assistant

Wow. They didn't have anything like a TI-82 in my school. But I didn't go to college. They look like they would have been fun to learn.