cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible Internet Gen 5 service

New Poster

Horrible Internet Gen 5 service

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, under NO circumstandes should you EVER get Hughesnet internet if you live in a rural area.  The webpage states 25 mb service.  I get 1mb to 3 mb.  I have called and complained on numerous occasions.  Now I am waiting for an engineer to call me.  It is scheduled for today by 11 pm.  The rep said if they don't call today (which I am sure they won't), I need to call back tomorrow.  I cannot get out of my contract without a $400 charge.  The same contract does not say that they have to live up to their fast internet access.  Read all of the posts before you do anything.  If you can get a DSL line from your telephone provider, do it.  Your service will not go out when it rains.  I live in MO.  My service was almost non-existent the other day and the repair person said the problem was that it was raining in Texas.  Once again, PLEASE do not get Hughtesnet.  I wish I had read the posts before I did.

14 REPLIES
New Poster

Re: Horrible Internet Gen 5 service

Well Hughesnet engineer did not call back by 9 pm.  So I called them and they said that someone would call me back by 11 pm to let me know what happened.  It is now 10:56 pm and no one has called.  Please, Please, Please don't order Hughesnet if you live in a rural area.

Instructor

" under NO circumstandes should you EVER get Hughesnet internet if you live in a rural area. "

What do you suggest instead?

I couldn't agree more. I am a new customer that relys on my internet service for work. All I get when I call is more promises. Finally, a tech told me the other day they were moving some users off of one sat to another. If you can't supply the speed, why advertise that you can? If I could go back I surely would! I am an accountant and this is busy season. What should I do? Get up and work from 2 a.m. to 8 a.m.? This is crazy.

Highlighted
New Poster

I agree, I have had the service since Sept and Maybe it has worked a total of a week as advertised.  They claim it should never go below 15 MB Download, hey if I could get that I wouldn't be complaining, I am lucky if I get over 1MB download most of the time.  When I do receive 15-20MB it is rare and not consistant, may only be for a few minutes or an hour nothing to rely on.  Tech 4 finally told me that they have way overloaded the satellites and are trying to come up with solution and finally gave me six months at half price but that is barely worth it concidering the slow speeds I have been getting.  Just did a speed test before coming here and it was .67 to .71 MB download and 1.33 upload. I had faster speeds with my previous carrier and it was only 2-3MB download but at least I was able to run my Roku, Now it is a shot in the dark to run it and if it is running I am lucky to have it work for 20 minutes.  I got sucked in with all the great advertising.

Now I find out instead of fixing the overload problem they are advertising that you can get $50 for signing up someone else, if you do that it better not be a good friend.  At this rate the problem will never be fixed unless they launch several satellites.

Tags (1)
New Poster

Dial up is faster than HughesNet

New Poster

Everyone warned me not to get HughesNet.  I didn't listen.  Download avg speed, 1mb.  Upload speed avg, 100kbps.  

I cannot watch any movies that my other satelite service offers via On Demand channels.

The most damaging part is that I cannot upload my work.  I am going to loose my job.  I'm tethering to my cell phone but my cell company does not offer unlimited data.  I cannot continue to pay over $500/mo to the cell company and pay this HughesNet bill.  

HughesNet offered to take $30/mo off my bill for the next few months.  They say they will fix this by then.  But that $30 doesn't even put a dent into the cell phone bill.  

There must be a way out of this contract.  I'm getting less than 4% of what they promise to give me.  That must be grounds to terminate the contract.  Has anyone tried?

Associate Professor

ChrisHaye wrote:

Dial up is faster than HughesNet

No, it's not, and even with the worst of the worst speeds people have been seeing, none are as slow as dialup.  

Regardless of that, if it's been less than 90 days since your sales call and the sales rep promised you a certain speed you can ask for a review of your sales call.  If it's determined that you were misled by the sales rep you may have recourse regarding the Early Termination Fee imposed when one who is in a contract cancels the service.    

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Instructor

"No, it's not, and even with the worst of the worst speeds people have been seeing, none are as slow as dialup. "

Isn't dialup a max of 56 kbps?  Ive never had such slow speed with HN.   This morning it was 196 kbps for a while there. Still faster than dialup.

Hyperbolic much, people?

Instructor

"There must be a way out of this contract.  I'm getting less than 4% of what they promise to give me.  That must be grounds to terminate the contract.  Has anyone tried?"

There is a way out of the contract:  pay the ETF.  You should also request a review of your sales call.  Like @GabeU said,  you may have recourse if the salesperson misled you.