I need a new router.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reggie
Teaching Assistant

I need a new router.

I need a new router. This time of year fund are tight. I am thinking to spend under $100.

I have done research for the  last month. Now i'm more confused than when I started.

I'm still on Gen 4 & not interested in upgrading  to gen5.

All that will be hooked to router in one desktop& one laptop. The desktop will be hardwired.Laptop wireless.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank You

Reggie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Reggie

I've had good luck with Netgear.  Granted, I've got an older one that only has 2.4Ghz capability, and I don't use it very often today due to having Gen5, but it worked perfectly when I had Gen4 and still does on the occasion that I use it for a specific reason with Gen5.  It's a WNR2000v4, and it's six years old.  

Even if you don't currently have any devices that can connect using the 5Ghz band (I have no idea if you do), I'd still get a router that has that ability, as more and more devices today can use the 5Ghz band.  Just about all routers can use the 2.4Ghz band, but some still don't offer a 5Ghz connection, as well.  

If you want the absolute best you can get for your price range, take a look at something like the Netgear R6700 Nighthawk.  Granted, it's right at the top of your range, but it's got a lot of bells and whistles for the price.  On Amazon, right now, it's on sale for $99.99, but it may be even less tomorrow due to it being Cyber Monday.  

One piece of advice I think everyone would agree with, though, is to make sure you stick with a well known brand.  Netgear, Linksys, ASUS, D-Link, TP-Link.  

The following link is to the best selling routers on Amazon.  

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Computer-Routers/zgbs/electronics/300189

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13