Just gotta laugh...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bare65
Advanced Tutor

Just gotta laugh...

I was browsing around the different community forums and was reading through one particular conversation in which a customer left a massive complaint/rant about his service being extremely slow blah blah blah and how his data was being stolen and how Hughesnet was useless and was ripping him off....

then Amanda replies to the rant and very casually starts listing the NUMEROUS devices connected to this customers HT2000w modem via wifi...including 1 Dish Hopper and FOUR Joey's (yes..4)...plus an Xbox, several phones/tablets and some additional 'unidentified' devices.

-Say-what-meme-62749.jpg

I just had to shake my head and laugh..

(needless to say there was no additional reply from the OP.)

25498030_10213952305915611_9051546805762070908_n.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Still amazes me how some don't realize that even if you have 40 Mbps speed but divide that among 5-10 devices all requesting data at the same then each device is only going to get a fraction of the 40 Mbps speed.

Not to mention the huge amount of data being consumed by so many devices. Yea, 4 Joey's, OMG. One Hopper is bad enough, then add four other streamers all requesting individual content. Only thing "stealing data" is all the devices. Most likely doesn't have anything to monitor use per device.

I'm almost certain that there are customers out there who may have personal devices that are currently connected to their network that they are completely unaware of.

I added a little tutorial of sorts on the tech board ( How To Verify your Connected Devices ) for those customers who do not know how to check for 'connected devices'.

Perhaps they have connected a personal device (phone, gaming console, Hopper etc) at one time or another and then disconnected the device without actually verifying that it was indeed disconnected...

It's also important to note that if a customer has made no changes to thier password and Network Name (SSID) since that initial setup/connection, many of these devices, the Hopper being one of the biggest culprits, will automatically remember that initial information and connect to your network at every opportunity (without any permission needed)...

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"Still amazes me how some don't realize that even if you have 40 Mbps speed but divide that among 5-10 devices all requesting data at the same then each device is only going to get a fraction of the 40 Mbps speed."

May be due to math intolerance, or a math allergy.

I had a horrible affliction of math allergies in high school 🙂

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It's the hidden epidemic. LOL

@Amandawrote:

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@Amandawrote:

LMAO!

....you and me both @Amanda