cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency Or Satellite Shortcomings?

Highlighted
Freshman

Re: Additional info about latency

Why do my long distance calls and other communication type satellites not suffer from high latency rates?

http://satellites.spacesim.org/english/function/communic/index.html
Charles Benjamin Lucas
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

I'm sure @MarkJFine can provide a suitable explanation. But you should take your posting to the General Discussion section, because this section is for Tech Support, and you're not requesting any tech support. 

Maybe the mods can move the conversation to General Discussion. 

Highlighted

Cheers, @Liz !

Highlighted
Associate Professor

I provided a truthful explanation of why there is a base latency and provided a means to determine where the problem is.

The OP decided not to comply and gave a fairly paranoid and accusatory reason why.

So respectfully, I'm deciding from entertaining this circular conversation any longer before someone gets angry.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Cblucas3 

Nearly any communication that doesn't experience a delay is over land based cable systems, not satellite.  Though I can't say with 100% certainty, I'm fairly certain that nearly all continental long distance calls use ground based infrastructure, never touching a satellite, and most of those that go overseas do the same.  

Any communications over geostationary satellites will always experience some delay, and some more than others, as they have to bounce off more than one satellite.  There are methods in place that try to disguise it or mitigate it, but it's always there.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

Sounds good to me. 

@MarkJFine wrote:

I provided a truthful explanation of why there is a base latency and provided a means to determine where the problem is.

The OP decided not to comply and gave a fairly paranoid and accusatory reason why.

So respectfully, I'm deciding from entertaining this circular conversation any longer before someone gets angry.

Highlighted

I think it's likely the OP is married to his erroneous ideas, and no amount of logical, coherent explanation is going to change his paranoid ideation.   Thanks for the explanation, though, @GabeU ; it helps me learn a bit. Smiley Happy

@GabeU wrote:

Nearly any communication that doesn't experience a delay is over land based cable systems, not satellite.  Though I can't say with 100% certainty, I'm fairly certain that nearly all continental long distance calls use ground based infrastructure, never touching a satellite, and most of those that go overseas do the same.  

Any communications over geostationary satellites will always experience some delay, and some more than others, as they have to bounce off more than one satellite.  There are methods in place that try to disguise it or mitigate it, but it's always there.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Plus he hasn't figured out that the furthest a domestic telephone call can go is only about 3,000 miles on a trunked wire and is trying to compare that to 88,000 miles in space.

Now I'm really done with his ridiculous trolling.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Freshman

Paranoid huh? Take a look at the timeouts. This is the problem I have. Not every page does this. It will go fair for several pages and just stall. Time outs or other messages like Not Connected To The Internet.Latency.JPG

Charles Benjamin Lucas
Highlighted

"Paranoid huh? "

Yes.