cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's get some inspiration!

Assistant Professor

Re: Let's get some inspiration!

For me: Mostly Classic Rock and Punk.

Although, when I played in high school in the early/mid 70's there was no 'classic' to it: Zepplin, Bad Company...

In fact, my current finger exercise is bascially the beginning to Over the Hills and Far Away.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I'm a big fan of classic rock as well, but for bass, I've found most songs are pretty uninteresting to play. With a large number of exceptions, of course.

I was planning on working on War Pigs soon because thay bass line is soooooooooooooooo good. 

As for finger excersices, these arpeggios are killing me! So boring. I usually put on a movie or documentary when I'm just repeating scales over and over and over and over and over to help mitigate the boredom.

-Jay

Assistant Professor

Yeah, was gonna say, you need pretty strng fingers to play bass. I'd be double covering for sure.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor IV

@Jay 

I primarily played 80's heavy metal, like Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer, plus a bit of Black Sabbath.  Some classic rock, too.  Don't get me wrong, I was never that good at it as I didn't dedicate the time to learning the proper techniques like I should have and I never took any lessons, but I could still get through a number of less complicated songs fairly well.  

I've never tried playing bass, though I imagine it would have been pretty fun, as well.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

I wouldn't get hung up on technique. I still think I should take some proper lessons to get rid of the bad habits and shortcuts I've picked up - mostly because I'm left handed, but trying to play like a righty (aka Joe Strummer style). Bottom line: Left hand is too quick for the right, which has trouble some times even finding the correct strings. Leads to a lot of hammer on/offs when I should be picking (I cheat).

Some days you're on, some days not so much... lol

One of my friends here at HughesNet is a big metal guy and has an awesome collection of Kiesel guitars. Every time I go over to his place and he plays, it makes me want to give up. Crazy how good some people are, and sometimes it feels impossible to get there Smiley LOL

Then I watch a few tutorial videos and my motivation goes back up.

-Jay

Distinguished Professor IV

@Jay wrote:

One of my friends here at HughesNet is a big metal guy and has an awesome collection of Kiesel guitars. Every time I go over to his place and he plays, it makes me want to give up. Crazy how good some people are, and sometimes it feels impossible to get there Smiley LOL 

My friend with the Les Paul Studio is like that.  When he was thinking of buying my strat and came over to look at it, he plugged it in, turned it on and made music on that thing I can only dream of.  He's one of those guys who can change complicated chords really quickly.  It's amazing.  I just kind of sat slack jawed.  Smiley Tongue

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit