Maybe this company was a bad idea.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
judywedgeworth
New Poster

Maybe this company was a bad idea.

After reading a few boards, I'm starting to think this Hughesnet was a bad idea. I was told my gaming(world of warcraft) would be fine, maybe 2-3 hours a day...more or less. I log on to play, my latency went from 75 with previous company to 1200+. I threw up a bit(no, not really, but a mild choke) . Decided to play a bit. A huge mob was pulled towards me and I was killed after I could pull only a couple shots off. Ok fine, cool, used to it BFA and Argus and other players doing this. Log off and go for Netflix, cool beans, nothing wrong. No cable so we try Sling free trial...that lasted a day. Trying Amazon, works pretty good. Then curious me goes looking as to why latency is so large.(pingme.org, microsoft account locator sent me a warning, a few others) Before it was pinging Rosewell (lol..yeah I get the jokes...it's aliens), but my latency was 75, thats cool WoW recommends 75 or less. Now I'm getting Russia, Oklahoma, Colorado. I live middle of Idaho. But hey, I went from a 300$ bill(cable package, streaming sites, 2 cellphones) to 100$...so I can't complain right??? just enough to throw a remote at my husband for picking this company 😉 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The latency with satellite internet can never get below about 550ms or so due to not only the infrastructure, but especially the distance the signal has to travel.  It's approaching 90,000 miles or more.    

With regard to streaming, be careful, as it uses a lot of data, especially when done in HD.  When you run out of data your service will be throttled to a lower speed.  You can buy data tokens to stop the throttling, but that can get expensive after a while.  

Because HughesNet uses shared IPs, and because they change all the time, your shown location will also often change.  

They should have given you correct information about online gaming with satellite internet, especially concerning real time games. 

If it's been no more than 90 days since your sales call you can request that it be reviewed.  If it's determined that you were not given the correct information you may have some type of recourse regarding the Early Termination Fee when cancelling.  If you wish to do so, you can request that review in the "myAccount and Billing" section.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The latency with satellite internet can never get below about 550ms or so due to not only the infrastructure, but especially the distance the signal has to travel.  It's approaching 90,000 miles or more.    

With regard to streaming, be careful, as it uses a lot of data, especially when done in HD.  When you run out of data your service will be throttled to a lower speed.  You can buy data tokens to stop the throttling, but that can get expensive after a while.  

Because HughesNet uses shared IPs, and because they change all the time, your shown location will also often change.  

They should have given you correct information about online gaming with satellite internet, especially concerning real time games. 

If it's been no more than 90 days since your sales call you can request that it be reviewed.  If it's determined that you were not given the correct information you may have some type of recourse regarding the Early Termination Fee when cancelling.  If you wish to do so, you can request that review in the "myAccount and Billing" section.