Hughesnet Community

Month worth of data (10GB) used in 2 days?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clgarvie

Month worth of data (10GB) used in 2 days?

Have just started with HughesNet.  Internet very slow. Just found all my 10GB used up in two days, and from the useage chart 0 upload & 0 download used. How is that possible? I have no WiFi as cable goes directly from modem to computer. Same thing happened with my last internet provider. I'm running Windows 10 on an Inspiron duel processor machine. Anyone have any idea what might be happening?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@BillKidd

When you've exhausted your data and go into FAP, the speed you are throttled to should be much higher than dialup speed, and though it may not be enough for streaming or other data intensive activities, it should be enough to be able to do other things without much noticeable difference.  

If your speed is actually dropping to dialup speed during FAP, you should create a new post in Tech Support.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade

Several things may cause this -- you should post in the Tech Support area, to get better responses.

GabeU

@clgarvie

How long have you had HughesNet?  The reason I ask is that you mentioned that you just started with HughesNet.  Your data allowance should be constantly reset during the first 20 days of your service, and if you are still within that first 20 days and this is not happening, that's a problem.  Either way, you should post in the Tech Support section for assistance, as mentioned by @maratsade

BillKidd
New Poster

I had the same problem, but I found the problem! I signed up for the 20GB plan. I was told they didn't pay attention to how much was actually used. This turned out to be "bait and switch!" Three days ago we were cut off completely! And we had 17 days to go before the billing period renewed! After my temper subsided a little (quite a bit actually!), I decided that there were two choices.  Either find the cause of using so much data or cancel. Since we are in the country and no cable or other reasonable services around, I elected to start investigating. I used to use cellular data, but it was way too expensive. What I first found was that they DON'T actually cut you off if you exceed your plan! They just switch you to a ridiculously slow speed (basically dial up speed!).Using the HughesNet data history tool (under My Account - Usage), I looked at my network to see the dates that data was high. I quickly found that in ONE 24 hour period we used almost 8GB's!!! Looking back at that date we remembered using Amazon Firestick to binge watch all episodes of Game of Thrones (We were snowed in!). We upgraded our plan to 30GB to get back to the speed we were used to and then, using the data from MyHughesNet, I created a speadsheet to track our data use every day! So far, it looks like we might be able to go back to the 20GB plan. My wife and I are retired, so we have no kids at home using their Kindles and we don't play games. We also have Dish for movies and the networks, so no reason to stream much of anything. We can still surf the net anytime, email and watch an occasional movie, but we have definitely changed HOW we use it! The bottom line is that you have to first be aware of what's eating up your data, then monitor the use and then make a decision if HughesNet is for you. It's NOT for everybody, but I found a way to make it work for us.  I hope you can too! 

P.S.- There are Windows applications that will both MAP everything on your system and provide DATA USE information for each of them! Check out Solarwinds!  I think I have my situation under control, so I didn't try it, but I am told it works pretty well!  I may add it later because it even tracks whose might be bootlegging your WiFi (hope you have a password on WiFi!).

GabeU

@BillKidd

When you've exhausted your data and go into FAP, the speed you are throttled to should be much higher than dialup speed, and though it may not be enough for streaming or other data intensive activities, it should be enough to be able to do other things without much noticeable difference.  

If your speed is actually dropping to dialup speed during FAP, you should create a new post in Tech Support.