Hughesnet Community

National Anthem Day

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jay

National Anthem Day

So, today is National Anthem Day and just the other day my friend had an odd experience with The National Anthem. We were going out to lunch at Mission BBQ which is a somewhat National chain of BBQ joints (I think they can be found from the East Coast to West Coast, but not everywhere) anyway, he gets there before me as I was tied up here for a bit, so I get there about 10 minutes late and he has an awesome story.

He got there just before noon, grabbed a table and was waiting for me when suddenly a voice interrupts the country music they had playing over the speaker system and says "Please rise to sign the National Anthem". 

Confused, my friend looks around as everyone begins standing and looking toward the TVs, which just moments before had been playing sports highlights on ESPN. He looks up to the TVs and now they have a digital image of the American Flag waving and everyone begins singing the Anthem in the middle of lunch. Completely blindsided by this turn of events, he sat there dumbfounded for a second until he realized people were shooting dirty looks his way, so he stood up, hand on his heart, and joined in with everyone else.

Not sure why they do this every day at noon, but they do. I don't have an issue with signing the National Anthem at lunch either, it was just really funny how my friend was blindsided by the entire situation as it was probably the last thing he'd expected to do for lunch. Smiley LOL

If you don't believe me, here is video evidence:

Also, TIL that Whitney Houston lip synced her National Anthem performance in this very interesting breakdown of Demi Levato's similarly performed rendition. If you're interestied in music composition or music theory, you'll like this video. 

-Jay

12 REPLIES 12
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Wow. They did a pretty good job! 

As to why:  https://mission-bbq.com/why-do-we-salute-the-national-anthem-every-day

If there is one near you, I highly recommend checking it out. The pulled pork is insane!

-Jay

maratsade

Yes, there's one near me, and I've also been to them in other states, but never at noon! EDIT: I'm not avoiding them at noon; just coincidence that I've never been there at noon when the fun happens. 🙂

Yeah, I have no problem going at noon and singing the National Anthem either. The other patrons might have an issue with my singing, though... because it's really, really bad.

-Jay

Huh that is interesting. Good to know.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

If you're feeling patriotic or just really want some awesome BBQ, it's the place to be for lunch.

-Jay

maratsade

Yep. I'd be kicked out of the place.  

@Jay wrote:

Yeah, I have no problem going at noon and singing the National Anthem either. The other patrons might have an issue with my singing, though... because it's really, really bad.

-Jay

I'm not averse to (attempt to) sing the anthem, and don't want to raise any controversies, but...

Appearing excessively patriotic seems to be in vogue these days. Making everyone sing the anthem at noon every day seems a bit excessive for a restaurant, imo.

To me, it's not what you say (or sing) that makes you patriotic, it's what you do... Anything else is glorifying a symbol of patriotism rather than patriotism itself. But that's just me.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

It figures.  No locations in my state.  PA isn't that far away, but the restaurants in it are.  😞

I love BBQ.  I was just looking at my old Showtime Rotisserie last night and was thinking of making something in it again.  Maybe BBQ ribs!  🙂

maratsade

Good idea. And there'd be no harm in you singing the national anthem while they cook.  At least you wouldn't get thrown out, like me. 

@GabeU wrote:

It figures.  No locations in my state.  PA isn't that far away, but the restaurants in it are.  😞

I love BBQ.  I was just looking at my old Showtime Rotisserie last night and was thinking of making something in it again.  Maybe BBQ ribs!  🙂

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Good idea. And there'd be no harm in you singing the national anthem while they cook.  At least you wouldn't get thrown out, like me. 

I'd lip sync.  😛  

maratsade

@GabeU wrote:

I'd lip sync.  😛  

That's brilliant, that is.