cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Mac Mini M1....

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: New Mac Mini M1....

Good lord. 24GB would take pretty much all day. I don't think I could handle this, at least not while having to update at home. 

@MarkJFine wrote:

So there's this machine that would need 18GB, right there, and then another 6GB for my wife's machine = 24GB in one morning, and that's not even a game.

MarkJFine
Professor

Needless to say, I get up real early and use Bonus time for all of it. Most of the time it goes pretty fast, at between 25 and 40Mbps. That said, I've been in NJ getting spoiled for the past 2 months. I think Fedora 34 comes out today...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

I don't have much luck with the updates for the Mac. They seem very finicky and take an enormous amount of time.  The Windows updates are slow too, but they're smaller in size. 

Enjoy New Jersey!

@MarkJFine wrote:

Needless to say, I get up real early and use Bonus time for all of it. Most of the time it goes pretty fast, at between 25 and 40Mbps. That said, I've been in NJ getting spoiled for the past 2 months. I think Fedora 34 comes out today...

GabeU

This unit came with Big Sur 11.2, and it was about 3.5GB to update it to 11.2.3.  That it was nearly twice that to go to 11.3 was shocking.  Once it finished downloading it installed without issue, though their "about 15 minutes remaining" is a bit longer than my 15 minutes.  🤪

Yeah, I'm a Mac convert, though I really do wish my printer worked with it.  The Steam game issue I half expected, especially with it being a new type of system, but the thought of my printer not working with it never occurred to me. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
MarkJFine
Professor

@maratsade wrote:

Enjoy New Jersey!

Unfortunately it's not a pleasure trip.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Sorry to hear that, Mike. 

@MarkJFine wrote:

Unfortunately it's not a pleasure trip.

GabeU

The experiment continues.  Well, it's not really an experiment anymore. 

I'm loving this thing.  I've not had any issues with it whatsoever, and with the exception of one time when I had both Safari and Edge open, and Edge with multiple tabs, as well as being in the midst of editing pictures and having a few of them open, I've not had any instances of the spinning wheel.  The one time was for a split second, and it was when I opened Adobe Reader.  Granted, I don't throw a lot at this machine, but what I do throw at it is no problem.  

Ironically, ACEPC is sending me a new mini PC to test.  It's a T6 Pro, I guess of a new design.  One of those stick PCs.  Come to think of it, maybe I can use that for printing when I need to, as it's very small and would be easy to switch over to just to print.  Better than spending $150 on a new laser printer when my old one still works perfectly and probably still has 1000 sheets worth of toner left.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maratsade

You're becoming an Apple acolyte.... 😁😁😁

GabeU

Though there are a few things I can't do with this Mac that I can with Windows, or at least I have to do some of them in a different, more difficult way, the one thing I absolutely cannot do with this Mac is use my mono laser printer.  It's at least 12 years old, with the actual model likely being older than that, and there is no driver for it for Big Sur.

Luckily, with having purchased a couple of ACEPC Mini PCs over the last couple of years and with being very active on their forum, including being one of two Moderators, I was invited to test a new model stick PC (T6 Pro), which I received for free.  The best thing is, it takes about 90 second to switch over to it so I can print something using Windows 10, and the stick PC is actually quite capable for being so darn small.  Two cable moves and that's practically it (monitor and keyboard/mouse).  I'll still stick with my Mac for everything else, however.  But, in the end, the printing issue is now solved!   

It's funny how things sometimes end up working out in ways you wouldn't expect. 

Over two months now.  I'm still loving this thing, though I really do wish I could play my few games on it, like the Half-Life and Portal series.  I don't know that they would play well on the stick PC, though I could always try.  Neither series is very graphics hungry, so maybe.

maratsade

Could you partition the hard drive and install a Windows virtual machine and use it to play your games?