cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Oh, wonderful....

Capture.JPG

Our power goes out here when a bird burps.  If I don't lose power it will be a miracle.  

And to make matters worse, Sunday is going to be very warm, or at least for part of the day.  I'd better start making a few small buckets of ice now in order to keep my chest freezer cold enough that nothing thaws out by the time the cold front fully hits and it's cold enough outside to put things on the porch.  It's packed pretty well, which will also help it stay cold.  And it's presently set to the lowest setting, which is about - 5, so that will help, as well.  There are a few somewhat local places where I could get some dry ice, too.  I've just got to make it until about 9:00PM, at which time it will be cold enough outside to keep things frozen.

26 REPLIES 26
GabeU

For those that aren't aware of this phenomenon, because Lake Erie is so shallow it's very susceptible to what's known as a seiche, which is like what happens to the water in your bathtub when you get in one end, where the water goes kind of gets pushed to the other end, then flows back the other way.   During sustained high wind events, the lake's water level at Buffalo rises, while at the same time it lowers at Toledo.  It eventually evens back out, just like the water in the tub, but when it's most pronounced it's usually like mentioned, as the wind is most often blowing from west to east, or some variation of such.  

During the winter, if the lake is only partially frozen over and one of these high wind events hits, it can push ice toward the end of the lake and the entrance to the Niagara River.  Because the ice boom across the entrance to the Niagara River broke from the building ice's pressure, a lot of that ice ended up going into the river.  With the combination of the seiche and the wind driven ice, this is what started happening, primarily on the east side of the river, near its entrance.

Capture.JPG

You can actually see this type of thing growing in real time, and there are some videos from the area showing this.  The same type of thing sometimes happens on the southern side of Lake Ontario, though that's driven by the wind only and not a seiche, as Ontario is too deep to have a seiche develop.  

Fun stuff.   It just shows you how much power the wind actually has.  Anybody wanna build an igloo?  😛  

Ok, so that isn't marshmallow fluff... I'll be on my way then.

Seriously though that is really cool. We just get frozen car doors and windows! 🙂

There's a video of this happening in my Weather.com app.

I'd repost it if there were a share button.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

maratsade

Just read this, and this, and I hope you're doing OK.  Sounds pretty bad. 

@GabeU wrote:

I hope to be able to get on later.  

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Just read this, and this, and I hope you're doing OK.  Sounds pretty bad. 

The power outages actually more than doubled that by the time it calmed down late this afternoon.  Amazingly, the power did pretty well in my neck of the woods.  It's very often the other way around. 

I haven't been out and about yet to see how many trees came down, nor if there was any flooding in the area.  Because the closest village sits in a valley and a substantial Lake Erie feeder bisects it, it's prone to flooding, and sometimes badly.  Still, I didn't see anything about it on the local news, so it's probably fine.  

Luckily, overall, we came out of it relatively unscathed.  Just a messy yard due to all of the branches that came down.