Online Distance/Lag Calculator

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJFine
Professor

Online Distance/Lag Calculator

There have been numerous discussions talking about lag time in these forums, but never something that allows you to actually figure it out. So I started the process of throwing together a simple javascript-driven page that allows you to calculate the overall signal distance and lag time: Distance and Lag Time Calculator.

Basically you just enter your satellite. either your gateway or beam#, and your location. It's supposed to auto-fill your location if you leave it blank, but it doesn't work just yet... in progress. It's been quickly thrown together so I haven't prettied it up yet. Mostly in the process of getting the guts to work the way it should.

Not sure what the admins think of having something like this available. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the underlying information is out in the open somewhere.

Leave it up? Take it down? Slap me for having too much time on my hands? Other comments?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
24 REPLIES 24

If you're using your phone and it has GPS, and you used https:, it will use your phone's GPS.
If you're using a computer it's better if you're using wifi because the location function isn't that good as compared to ethernet cable.

Other than that, there's Google maps...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Cheers, mate. I will try it with Google maps.  (EDIT: hey, that worked. Had to Google how to find the info once on the map because herp derp). 

GabeU

@MarkJFine 

Looks good.  🙂  

@maratsade 

I had a site saved where you could just click on your location on the map or satellite view and it gave the info, but I lost the link when I re-synced Chrome.  😞  

maratsade

It's very easy to do with Google maps,  once you know how. Smiley LOL