cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Pet peeve thread......

OK, happy holidays! Here we go......

I hate, hate the "in line" versus "on line" thing. Many use "on line" to describe standing "in line". Drives me nuts!

So instead of standing "in" a line of people you are standing "on" a line that isn't even there?

Nuts.gif

29 REPLIES 29
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The scouse dialect has many great slang words: beaut is one that always makes me laugh because it's used in such a different meaning in the US.  (Not souse per se, but the word puffs here in the US -- used as a brand of tissues -- also makes me laugh, as it has a completely different meaning in the UK).

ETA: there are so many slang words for cigarettes, aren't there?

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Missouree and Missourah is another oneThat's an "i" at the end the last time I checked, not an "a". Yea, I had strict English teachers. 

Although, emphasizing the middle "g" in words like "singing " also drives me bonkers. I'm a mess, blame my teachers.  Smiley Tongue

maratsade

I don't think I've heard the middle g emphasis, but that would sound really weird. Is that dialectal, or a foreign way of saying the words, or....?

I had very strict grammar teachers too, so my pet peeve is bad grammar.

grammar.jpg

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:

Have always been fascinated by this. We Americans are mostly unaware of the different accents/dialects in the UK. Pretty sure those in Liverpool have invented their own language (e.g., bifters).

Wife and I like to watch British detective shows and I have to concentrate like crazy to understand the thicker accents.

maratsade

@BirdDog wrote:

Wife and I like to watch British detective shows and I have to concentrate like crazy to understand the thicker accents.

Some of the rural accents are hard to decipher.

Percentage indicates how much the dialect is recognisedPercentage indicates how much the dialect is recognised

chart's missing Mancunian and 'Norf' London. lol

Manc's close to Lanca, but not quite.

I don't know what 'Received pronunciation' means. I'm also pretty sure the Daily Mail never heard of the 'i before e, except after c' rule when making that graphic. (spelling/grammar, yet another pet peeve, especially in pubs - lazy editors)

But then again, they also went ballistic over a gif of Mesut Ozil drinking a cup of tea, so...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

I think they were going for the ones that were the most recognizable to other people. There are many regional dialects missing.

As for the misspelling, it's the Daily Mail, so not surprising!  Do they even have editors anymore?

Received pronounciation is Standard English, based on the educated accent of the South of England.  It's what used to be taught in schools and what the BBC presenters used to use. Is there Standard American?  I think someone once told me that Walter Cronkite spoke in Standard American English.

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

chart's missing Mancunian and 'Norf' London. lol

Manc's close to Lanca, but not quite.

I don't know what 'Received pronunciation' means. I'm also pretty sure the Daily Mail never heard of the 'i before e, except after c' rule when making that graphic. (spelling/grammar, yet another pet peeve, especially in pubs - lazy editors)

But then again, they also went ballistic over a gif of Mesut Ozil drinking a cup of tea, so...

Spelling is another one of mine, as is grammar, which is probably why I end up editing just about every Wikipedia article I read.  😛  I can't complain too much about either of them, though, as I'm guilty of both.  

With that said, when it comes to social media, both of those go right out the door, as texting's shortcuts bled over to everything else.  😞 

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

"No.  And accent is an accent, and there are a lot of them in this country.  A mispronunciation is a mispronunciation.  Two entirely different things." <-- agreed.

Americans pronounce a lot of things differently than we do  across the ocean.  It's been quite interesting for me, as I had always thought the differences weren't as significant as they actually are. (Then there's using completely different words for things, like torch vs. flashlight).

When I was a little kid I actually spoke in a somewhat noticeable British accent due to my both my grandparents being Brits and my mother being born in Birmingham.  I lost it as a got older, though.