Hughesnet Community

Projecting my laptop to my TV and HBO Go...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Projecting my laptop to my TV and HBO Go...

Thanks to BirdDog inadvertently letting me know that I can project my laptop to my new LG TV wirelessly, I've been having a little fun.  But, I've been trying to figure out how to stream TV shows and movies without actually having to sign up for Netflix and without resorting to some illegal streaming site.  I don't really want to sign up for Netflix, as I wouldn't be streaming very much, even late at night when I have more data.  I then remembered HBO Go.

I signed up for HBO Go, as I already have HBO through DirecTV, and it worked perfectly.  I then projected it from my laptop to my TV, and other than a quarter second audio delay, which I can fix with the audio sync option in my TV, it worked perfectly.  Granted, it's not exactly full HD this way, but it worked well.  I then got out a long HDMI cable that I bought and tried it with that, as my laptop has an HDMI port.  This, on the other hand, WAS in full HD, and there was no audio delay.  NICE!!!    

So, now I can stream what I want, when I want, and for free, though I pay for HBO, ultimately.  And I don't have to worry about paying for a service (Netflix) and having it not really be worth it.  BTW, if my TV were a Samsung it could utilize HBO Go directly. 

So, now to sign up for Max Go and Showtime Anytime, as I have those movie channels with DirecTV, as well.  And, not only that, but DirecTV itself allows On Demand streaming through their site, in much the same way as HBO Go, which means I can stream even more and not have to worry about my DirecTV receiver chewing through data for other things.

This laptop is going to get used a LOT more now.  🙂 

Granted, I still have to watch my data usage, but being able to do all of this without having to pay more for it is nice, and the ability to control that data usage, which is a must, is also nice.  

Just checked out "The Sopranos" S1 Ep1.  🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 

16 REPLIES 16