Hughesnet Community

SLMR

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLMR

As I often struggle with the IMO awful message editor here, I often think about the old BBS days when we used a shareware program called Silly Little Mail Reader ( SLMR ). Not to be confused with the later email program with the same name.

With SLMR you could dialup a BBS, and download all of the messages and upload your replies in zipped format. A real time saver when you are using a 2400 baud modem, which is basically equivalent to a 2400bps internet connection. Slow!

Then you could use SLMR to read the messages, and compose your replies off line.  It was very intuitive to use, and what you composed would appear verbatim when you looked at it later. Unlike here where the editor eats most of your white space when pasting text into it.

If anybody is interested here's a link to an article about those days:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/01/modems-warez-and-ansi-art-remembering-bbs-life-at-2400bps/

As the above article ends:

+++ATH0

!@^^§¡©£¡)
NO CARRIER

2 REPLIES 2
MarkJFine
Professor

Oh... the memories. I forget what I used to use. Wasn't SLMR, but was something I used for RIME, FIDO, et. all.

Wait... it was RelayMail. Used that for years.

I might even have it here on some 5.25" media that I can no longer read and is likely degaussed by nature... but I can't bear to throw anything away, so it's still here.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

Oh... the memories. I forget what I used to use. Wasn't SLMR, but was something I used for RIME, FIDO, et. all.

Wait... it was RelayMail. Used that for years.

I might even have it here on some 5.25" media that I can no longer read and is likely degaussed by nature... but I can't bear to throw anything away, so it's still here.

You can still get USB 3.5 floppy drives fairly easily, not so 5.25s. 

I couldn't find the CD of my 'C' library of functions, that I had written or acquired over 20 years, so I bought  a 3.5 USB drive expecting to recover it from the many 3.5 disks that I still had.    The disks data was still readable, but I had somehow lost the 'C' library disks.   Just goes to show that you can never have too many backups!

Anybody want a copy of Turbo 'C', Borland 'C', Microsoft 'C', and Power 'C' on the original 3.5 floppies?  Just kidding, I'm going to hang on to them.  :>)>