So much disappointment

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Janeenlh
Freshman

So much disappointment

I have read everything I can on Satellite internet regarding latency, bandwidth, etc... My disappointment stems from the lack of honesty and clarity with Hughsnet and thier service. Yes, I should have researched before this. Yes, I had Hughsnet in the past and switched to DSL r/t the speeds. However, I was told it was so much better then a few years ago. It is actually not better at all. It is the worst. My wifi is awful in this house, which is not a large one, and that is with a good booster. I may bite the bullet and switch back to DSL. 

14 REPLIES 14
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Actually, it's much better than it was years ago, and continues to improve. But individual experience varies considerably based on where the person lives, and on their expectations. 

As for honesty, all the information you need is stated clearly on the website and the subscriber agreement. 

If you have a choice that works better for you, it makes sense to switch.

As I said, I have read, and re read everything I can.  I suppose Michigan weather makes satellite internet a bit of a gamble. Nothing they can do about that. 

GabeU

@Janeenlh 

For me, the statement that "it was so much better" is accurate.  I went from a max of 1.6Mbps with my legacy, daily refill plan to 20Mbps (then 30Mbps) with Gen4, then about 47Mbps with Gen5.  And though that doesn't necessarily translate into activities running at that speed at all times, nor is the speed that good all the times, it's still much better than what I had.

Downloading a movie early this morning, which is the best time for larger files...

Screenshot (82).jpg

5.9MBps is 47.2Mbps, or nearly double Gen5 plan speed.  

As for your WiFi, are you sure it's a signal issue?  An extender/booster only helps with signal issues.  If it is a signal issue, two things should be kept in mind.  One, that the HT2000W's WiFi is basic, and two, that the makeup of your home also plays a part in how far from the base unit the signal stays adequate.  And, if it is a signal issue, a more powerful, 3rd party router can often remedy the problem.

Thank you for the suggestion. I am glad it functions well for you. I suppose its all relative to our expectations and experiences based on our location. 

maratsade

Weather at your location or at the location of the ground station (the ground station is always in another state) can influence your internet experience.  Other factors such as congestion and latency, as well as network optimisation strategies, can influence it too.  

For tech support, go to https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/bd-p/TechSupport and start a ticket by clicking on "Start a topic."  Provide details of the issues you are encountering. 

You can also call 866-347-3292; they're available 24/7.  Expect delays, as like with most companies everywhere, their call centers are suffering the effects of the pandemic. 

If ultimately the system does not work for you, you have the choice to cancel by calling 866-347-3292.  If you're still under contract, there will be penalties for early cancellation.  If you have not worked actively with the reps on this site  to give them the chance to improve your system, the cancellation fee will be valid and they will not consider cutting you any breaks.  It would be to your benefit to work with them to improve the system. 

Janeenlh wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. I am glad it functions well for you. I suppose its all relative to our expectations and experiences based on our location. 

Additionally my download speed is 3.25mbps. Upload is 0.77mbps. 

maratsade

To have speed issues addressed here, you need to demonstrate these issues by following this procedure: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/td-p/110034/jump-to/first...

If you choose to do the procedure, please post the results in the Tech Support section by clicking on "Start a topic." 

This procedure is required for speed help on this site. If you'd rather not do the testing, you can call Tier 1 support at 866-347-3292. 

Janeenlh wrote:

Additionally my download speed is 3.25mbps. Upload is 0.77mbps. 

GabeU

@Janeenlh 

I second maratsade's suggestions running some speed tests as outlined, then starting a new Topic in Tech Support and posting the link to those speed test results.  Hopefully starting this troubleshooting process will lead to an improvement in your service.  

Before running the speed tests, however, please make sure that you are NOT out of data, as tests run while out of data and throttled won't be of help for your speed issues.  You can check your data levels via the HughesNet Usage Meter, the HughesNet Mobile App, or by entering 192.168.0.1 into your browser's address bar and hitting Enter (you may need to refresh the page to see the data levels).  You can also click on the following link...

http://192.168.0.1/#!/usage

dbradley0102
New Poster

I agree with you... I live in a remote area and their product was the only one available. There sales first told me the system only used 2 watts which I considered good since all I do is run solar power here. Well it doesn't, it draws 75 watts and pulls the batteries down. I must use it only when I have the generator running. I am used to bad WIFI since I ran hotels for a lot of years but this is horrible. I do web design for real time sites for extra income other than my SS. I have lost 2 contracts because of not able to get sites applications done on a timely manner. A total of 9K dollars lost this year alone. I would never recommend this product or service to anyone!!! for the monthly cost and the service provided is not proportionate. I cant even watch You tube with any enjoyment !!

@dbradley0102 

1. Are you certain the sales person didn't give you the transmit power of the transceiver in the dish?

2. If this was a firm requirement for you and you feel the sales person misled you, you can request your sales call to be reviewed.

3. Otherwise, if you're just here to gripe, you're in the wrong place and you posted on someone else's 'support ticket' to do so. If you want to gripe and/or pile on to someone else's gripe, take it to social media, that's not what this site is for.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

2. If this was a firm requirement for you and you feel the sales person misled you, you can request your sales call to be reviewed. Then Please review it .. as I said, I asked how much power does the system pull since I only run solar power and the sales person said it only draws 2Watts!!!!
maratsade

If your sales call is less than 6 months, it can be pulled to verified who said what. If you'd like your sales call reviewed, go to the Tech Support section, click on "start a topic," and post a request to have this done.  

Like @MarkJFine said, this is not a gripe site. For griping you need to head elsewhere. 

dbradley0102 wrote:
2. If this was a firm requirement for you and you feel the sales person misled you, you can request your sales call to be reviewed. Then Please review it .. as I said, I asked how much power does the system pull since I only run solar power and the sales person said it only draws 2Watts!!!!

maratsade

Maybe the mods could lock this thread? 

@dbradley0102 wrote:
Then Please review it .. as I said, I asked how much power does the system pull since I only run solar power and the sales person said it only draws 2Watts!!!!

I guess you dealt with the sales person the same way you didn't read the very bottom of my post that clearly disclaims I'm not a HughesNet employee.

Secondly, if you know of a modem that only draws 2w, I'd like to see it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.