Hughesnet Community

So uh, yeah... it's um...national awkward day.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liz

So uh, yeah... it's um...national awkward day.

awk.jpg

We've all been there... that time you wish you didn't say that thing, or when you did something and felt instant regret? Those awkward moments that we can hopefully now look back on and laugh? LET'S SHARE. LOL

I'll go first:

I went to a multi-day training conference with a colleague where we had take-home exams. We were the only ones from the company so we always linked up during breaks. Towards the end of the conference, we decided to go out to the waterfront for lunch since it was an especially lovely day outside. We bought crabcakes to go and ate right by the water.

We chatted about everything, and then at some point I asked my colleague which courses and exams she took so far. She mentioned this one exam I finished, so I blurted out, "Oh yeah that was easy, I got 100% on that." to which she replied, "I got [significantly lower score]."  

I only managed to utter "Ah." before stuffing my face with more crabcake and staring that the ducks in the water.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

13 REPLIES 13
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Shortly after beginning to practice law, I called a judge an idiot in open court. I didn't mean to say it so loud, and I thought I wasn't loud, but the acoustics were good. Regretted it for a long time, with lots of help from the judge.  

facepalm.jpg

OMG oh nooo

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

maratsade

It wasn't good. It was costly, too. In more than one way.  🙂

@Liz wrote:

OMG oh nooo

-Liz

I wheeeezed at "Mom". I would have died.

Obviously I'm not a lawyer so forgive my ignorance; you can get penalized for that?? Held in contempt of court or whatever they say on Law & Order? LOL

@maratsade wrote:

It wasn't good. It was costly, too. In more than one way.  🙂

@Liz wrote:

OMG oh nooo

-Liz

maratsade

Yes, judges usually fine you for any behaviour they don't care for, and sometimes the fine is hefty.  In general they are tolerant of younger lawyers, but this guy was very angry and I think he just wanted to make an example of someone. Of course, calling a judge "idiot" is really very very wrong.  I really shouldn't let my subtext come out as text. 🙂

maratsade

I want to ammend the previous by saying that getting officially accused of contempt of court isn't common, even though snark, insults and other misbehaviour do qualify as contempt.  Very often the judge will just reprimand the lawyer and move on, or will assess a small fine. Often they threaten but don't follow through. I remember once when a woman lawyer was dressed inappropriately for court, and the judge told her she had to go home and dress appropriately, and fined her $250.  Sometimes there are small fines for being late, or failing to file something.  But I have never seen a lawyer actually being formally accused of being in contempt, though I go to court exceedigly rarely these days. I do my work outside of court, which is just the way I like it. Court work never appealed to me. 

GabeU

I had a crush on one of my teachers when I was freshman in high school.  I made the mistake of telling a close friend, who then basically told everyone.  And I'm sure the teacher found out, as well, as she was really sweet to me after that.  😛  

Talk about embarrassing.  

maratsade

How mortified were you?

@GabeU wrote:

I had a crush on one of my teachers when I was freshman in high school.  I made the mistake of telling a close friend, who then basically told everyone.  And I'm sure the teacher found out, as well, as she was really sweet to me after that.  😛  

Talk about embarrassing.  

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

How mortified were you?

Very, but like so much other gossip in high school, it didn't take long for something else to come up to take the focus away... THANKFULLY!  😛 

Wowwwwwww jerk move! I would've been wary of trusting any more secrets with that "friend". Glad your teacher was nice to you after that and wasn't weird about it. That's cute. 

Just remembered an awkward moment...

I was at an autograph event for a Jpop artist forever ago. Typically those artists have weird, strict rules, and in this case you could only get your item signed and then move on. No pictures, selfies, or touching.

When it was my turn at the the autograph table and after the artist signed my item, I saw her hand outstretched. I'm not sure what was going on and maybe it was nerves/excitement/confusion all at once, but I shook her hand and left with a big stupid grin on my face. Mind you this was in a large open space filled with other fans. My friends were like :OOOOO YOU SHOOK HER HAND. hahaha

I feel embarrassed that I did that because I think she was actually signaling "Here's your signed thing, move on". Also I'm pretty sure the artist's managers were staring daggers at me, but oh well, I got my handshake.  

-Liz

maratsade

"

When it was my turn at the the autograph table and after the artist signed my item, I saw her hand outstretched. I'm not sure what was going on and maybe it was nerves/excitement/confusion all at once, but I shook her hand and left with a big stupid grin on my face. Mind you this was in a large open space filled with other fans. My friends were like Smiley SurprisedOOOO YOU SHOOK HER HAND. hahaha

I feel embarrassed that I did that because I think she was actually signaling "Here's your signed thing, move on". Also I'm pretty sure the artist's managers were staring daggers at me, but oh well, I got my handshake. "

LOL LOL LOL

This is cracking me up; I imagine she was probably all, "What on Earth was that? Didn't I explain the rules?"

I called my highschool English teacher "Mom" once. 

-Jay

maratsade

Laughing so hard over here. 

@Jay wrote:

I called my highschool English teacher "Mom" once. 
-Jay