Software update...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Software update...

Sometimes I wish there was some type of warning of an impending system software update.  

Today, shortly after I plugged in my modem, I noticed the modem was out.  Only two lights were lit on the front.  So, like I normally do when I see it's out, I power cycled.  When I plugged it back in it came back up like normal.  A short time later, BAM!  It's out again.  At this point I thought that maybe it's overheating, though it hadn't really been on long enough to do that.  So, I got my shopvac out and blew out the housing.  A little dust, but nothing major.  Then I plugged it back in.  It came up, but then, sure enough, after a couple of minutes it blips out again.  This time I left it to see what would happen.  After a few minutes it came back up on its own.  This prompted me to check the reboot stats, which I had forgotten about....

Reboot.PNG

IOW, I shouldn't have jumped the gun and should have given it a chance to come back up on its own in the first place.  Ugh.  I'm glad removing the power and interrupting the update process didn't screw it up like can happen with firmware updates.  

BTW, yes, if you look at your own you'll notice something doesn't look quite right with this pic.  It's a mashup of the bottom and the top of the reboot stats field.  The most current is always at the top of the field, which in the case of this picture is the last two lines, and the most recent ones prior to that are always on the bottom of the field.  I just cut and paste to put the two most recent lines on the bottom for the sake of continuity.  Well, that and the fact that a single picture would be HUGE due to a month's worth of power cycles in between and a two pictures might be a little confusing with the layout.  I unplug my modem every night, so there are a lot of them.  I'm actually surprised I was able to get the two snips to "line" up so perfectly!  LOL.  

3 REPLIES 3
maratsade

good job lining those up!

I think the modem should sound a French horn before updating itself. 😉

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

good job lining those up!

I think the modem should sound a French horn before updating itself. 😉

Either that or a loudspeaker that screams... "Hey dummy, I'm tryin' to update here!"  🤣

maratsade

That's good too! What say you, HN developers? (we're still hoping for the beer dispenser, btw.)

@GabeU wrote:

Either that or a loudspeaker that screams... "Hey dummy, I'm tryin' to update here!"  🤣