Apparently LaunchAgents gives you more flexibility for running things like crons that don't need a GUI, whereas LaunchDaemons is a bit more restrictive.
I'm unsure if the filename had anything to do with it. I just made sure it was the same or close to what the Label was.
Also, aparently ownership and persmissions are important depending upon where it goes:
1. If under ~/Library, the permissions have to be set with you as owner and unaccessible by group or world.
2. If under /Library or /System/Library, the permissions have to be set as root, similarly using 600 or 400.
Cool, so, on to the next phase!
I was also able to load it under LaunchDaemons.
I'm not sure but I'm under the impression that LaunchAgents require user interaction.
In either case it loads and unloads without a problem.
I'm unable to catch a PID using both the activity monitor and the console.
I changed the StartCalenderInterval and watched as it passed the time however currently there are no updates pending.
In what little time I had been looking into it, before I saw you revision, I had come across the possibility that it might need some form of the following:
Regardless, thus far everything seems great. Might have to add the KeepAlive or wait until there's an update. (experimentation needed)
I can see in the logs where it loads and unloads but the fact that it's not showing a PID makes me think although it's loading, it's not running.
Dunno. May be how it spawns the process. Should be something in the log if there's a spawning error.
Been busy with other things, but will test it more over the weekend.
I've been waiting for an update to be available to "smoke test" it. For a while it seemed they were coming pretty often.
I just got notice of an available update (this evening) but I won't be able to check it out until the weekend.
I have seen that there are (supposedly) some settings in the GUI that have to be changed from my regular settings. With that, I'm first going to try the version you sent without modifications and we'll see what happens.
I've had a couple in the past few days (Xcode Command Line Tools, OneNote), but forgot to try it. Been so busy it completely slipped my mind.
I got the plist to run but haven't gotten sucessfull results yet.
Changing "download" to "update" did the trick however I thus far am getting the following message in the console:
Service exited with abnormal code: 1
It's being sort of ornery. Kind of looking for a missing or incorrect symbol in assembly code. Lol
I'm not able to give it full time attention so the process is taking longer than I initially thought but my limited sucess has convinced me that it can be done.
tbh, I haven't seen enough actual updates for it to work.