cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Community's back up!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The Community's back up!

Woo hoo!!!!  

 

I was having HughesNet Support Community withdrawal.  Smiley Tongue 


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
9 REPLIES 9
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: The Community's back up!

It's because we're volunteers. If we were staff, the post would be:

 

Oh, man, the site's back up!  And I was having such a nice break from the HN support community!

 

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Re: The Community's back up!

It would have nice if they told the other support folks.

MarkJFine
Professor

Re: The Community's back up!

Must've been a bad update. A 500 series error generally means a configuration problem with the web server.

 

As far as notifying us, isn't that a chicken/egg problem? If the means to notify us isn't working, then there's no way to notify us that it's broken... you just try to log in and see the obvious for yourself.


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: The Community's back up!

I was getting a 403 error. 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: The Community's back up!

I wonder if Reggie meant they should have notified other support services, such as phone and/or chat reps?

 

But yes, it was easy to see there was an error just by trying to login. It was only the community that was down; I could access everything else. 

 

A system status page would've been nice to have, with something like, "we're experiencing login errors for the HN community. We're reported this to our provider and are waiting for them to fix the issue."

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Re: The Community's back up!


@maratsade wrote:

I wonder if Reggie meant they should have notified other support services, such as phone and/or chat reps?

 

But yes, it was easy to see there was an error just by trying to login. It was only the community that was down; I could access everything else. 

 

A system status page would've been nice to have, with something like, "we're experiencing login errors for the HN community. We're reported this to our provider and are waiting for them to fix the issue."


That is what I meant. The problem I had is I did some updates on my laptop. When I called support they said it was my network. I asked if they could contact the mods on this site to see if there was a problem. The response was no, there is nothing wrong with the site. I spent 6 hours trying to figure out what I did wrong.

It is all good now.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: The Community's back up!

The phone agents probably can't or don't want to invest the time to try the login to see if they see the problem. The community was visible, so if they checked the URL they would've seen they could see posts and assumed there was no problem. 

 

Were you able to access your account?  I could login to everything on this site except the community.   

 

A system status page could also include a "report a problem" form....

 

Reggie wrote:

That is what I meant. The problem I had is I did some updates on my laptop. When I called support they said it was my network. I asked if they could contact the mods on this site to see if there was a problem. The response was no, there is nothing wrong with the site. I spent 6 hours trying to figure out what I did wrong.

It is all good now.


 

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Re: The Community's back up!

Yes, I could login. The errors I was getting were 403 & 500.

I was beginning to wonder if I posted something that got me suspended.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: The Community's back up!

Yep, I can see why you'd think that, especially with the 403 error ("forbidden"). 

 

Reggie wrote:

Yes, I could login. The errors I was getting were 403 & 500.

I was beginning to wonder if I posted something that got me suspended.