cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Future of satellite Internet

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: 20 GB seem to vanish too quickly(6 days) even when unpluged ! CHANGE FOR THE BETTER ?

@tkn42 

While you're right about things voraciously consuming data, a lot depends on what devices you have and how tightly you can lock them down.  

I have three Windows 10 Pro PCs, a Raspberry Pi 4 and Raspberry Pi 3B+, both with Raspbian, and a smart phone, all kept up to date, and with all of them locked down I'm able to get by with the 20GB plan without running out of data.  And that's while browsing, paying bills, using social media, watching Youtube videos and streaming, though the streaming is done with PlayOn Cloud and the items are normally downloaded during the Bonus Zone.  That's not to say that I haven't run out of data, as when I've downloaded more during the day than I should've I have, but I knew it was coming before I did so.  

Most devices can still be locked down so that they use very little data on their own.  Then it all depends on what one actively does.

The following is current.  Two more hours until reset...

Capture.JPG

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Distinguished Professor I

Re: 20 GB seem to vanish too quickly(6 days) even when unpluged ! CHANGE FOR THE BETTER ?

@tkn42 wrote:

Welcome to the 21st century! HughsNet is an antiquated system!

Wow. Just wow. 

Highlighted
Associate Professor

That term "welcome to the 21st century" is 20 years old and is becoming as annoying as people's incorrect hyperbole, "slower than dialup". I'm a boomer, but... "ok, boomer."

Just my opinion.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted

Definitely. Additionally, to refer to Internet services that work over a satellite orbiting the planet as "antiquated" reveals a dismal level of ignorance.

@MarkJFine wrote:

That term "welcome to the 21st century" is 20 years old and is becoming as annoying as people's incorrect hyperbole, "slower than dialup". I'm a boomer, but... "ok, boomer."

Highlighted

@maratsade wrote:

Definitely. Additionally, to refer to Internet services that work over a satellite orbiting the planet as "antiquated" reveals a dismal level of ignorance. 

Agreed.  The actual systems that could be considered antiquated, or are getting that way, are ground based services that still require some sort of physical medium to deliver service from point A to point B, regardless of their bandwidth or system capacity.

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Freshman

For the record, HughesNet has done the best so far for me. Gritting your teeth?

I have almost always been in far, remote areas. After I left the city and stumbled along with a 9600/14.4 modem like 10 years previous I was astounded when the local telcom upgraded to DSL points of service. I was among the 1st for an install. They brought out their brand new vibrating trencher to bring new copper a half mile to the home site. They learned how to use it in my canyons. I worked and I was in heaven. I farmed/ranched but worked for bay area tech through the day in sales. I could finally do a Webex.  Then I moved to WA.

There was NO wired internet. The cell reception was so weak that I had to put a booster on the roof and most of the time I could get flaky 3g falling back to 1x. I got hounded about my connection but survived because numbers were good. Then we moved to another place (wife's job change) and I did likewise. No big deal- I work from home. Directional 3g antenna and an upgraded xBoost and here we go again. I ultimately was dismissed because of access.  I had a 6 digit W2. I retired by force. Don't tell me to move to the city. The wife had a long job run and although her salary was less the steadyness and benefits were overriding.

So I see this stuff about cord cutters and I chuckle. Yeah, go for it! Stream your friggin videos and music and whatever. But if you live in an area with no other options a satellite ISP is key. There's no copper or fiber. Like not there's not even a power line, telco or other utility where we are. Say "Off Grid." I see headlines of telcos getting bunches of taxpayer money to service rural broadband and don't perform. In their defense, tyhere are only so many places to put an antenna to go up canyons and the customers are to few for the investment.

But I'm an outcast, far removed from utilities. You might say "Buck up, go wehere you can make a living." Noop. No friggin way. We're a family with very different IP demands. Enter my experience with satellite internet. I still couldn't do a webex with a customer or IP phone call to my boss in Sweden.

I have HughesNet. I can't do a job from home with the latency. I don't stream or hog bandwidth but my gosh the access sucks. But the subject is rural broadband. Great for you if in flatlands of "where ever." Sucks for you if you are in a canyon or not direct-line-of-sight.

Therefore I can't wait for competition for satellite internet.

Highlighted

"Therefore I can't wait for competition for satellite internet."

You'll be waiting for a long time, as non-satellite ISPs can't be bothered with rural America. 

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Speaking of LEOs (thanks to @C0RR0SIVE):

OneWeb goes bankrupt, lays off staff, will sell satellite-broadband business (ars technica)

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted

Cheers for posting that link, @MarkJFine 

Highlighted

@MarkJFine wrote:

Speaking of LEOs (thanks to @C0RR0SIVE):

OneWeb goes bankrupt, lays off staff, will sell satellite-broadband business (ars technica)

I saw that they were doing this last week, but I was really hoping that there was something that could be done, as in a buyer or some other form or saving it.  Smiley Sad