cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Future of satellite Internet

Highlighted
Spectator

Re: The Future of satellite Internet

I switched to HN in November 2019 because my wired ISP could provide only 1.5 mbps. Right now, on Bonus Zone, I'm getting less than 1 mbps. I seldom see any difference between throttled speed and "normal" speed, so I dropped my data plan to 10GB to waste less money on service not received. I don't mind the data cap and don't mind going over. I get up early enough to watch a few YouTube channels on Bonus time and I don't stream movies.

There is a Spectrum line on the highway 300 feet from my house, but Spectrum won't bring it to me. Not enough houses on my road. I'm going to call them again and see what they'd charge me to pay for installation.

Installer said new sat would be up sometime in 2020. Tech confirmed that when I asked about it but didn't have a specific date. Now it's 2021?

Switched to HN phone service. When I asked the installer about the signal delay, he said it was insifnificant. That was a lie. Extremely difficult to have a normal conversation. Lots of talking over each other. Makes me want to say "over" at the end of a sentence, just like on two-way radio.

We have a video medical appointment in a few days on Microsoft Teams. I can hardly wait to see how that works out.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Satellite internet is finite and susceptible to slow downs due to high usage, which is what's happening now due to the pandemic.  This may actually get worse, and since satellite internet can't be expanded without launching another satellite (which takes months and months and costs a lot of money), right now we're stuck while we're all at home and straining the system. 

"There is a Spectrum line on the highway 300 feet from my house, but Spectrum won't bring it to me. Not enough houses on my road. I'm going to call them again and see what they'd charge me to pay for installation."

Good idea to try again; maybe they have changed their business models during the pandemic. You never know!  The nearest cable connection for me is 15 miles away and of course they won't come because of the same reason. But 300 feet! That's  just nuts. 

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@EricRush wrote:

Installer said new sat would be up sometime in 2020. Tech confirmed that when I asked about it but didn't have a specific date. Now it's 2021? 

The installer and tech were likely misinformed.  The launch window for the ES24 satellite has been 2021 since its first definitive announcement, which I believe was in late 2018.

Here's an article from Feb 2019.

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Spectator

Starlink is the future of satellite internet. I can't wait until it becomes available in my area. Fiber optic speeds, low latency and no data caps. I will be dropping Hughesnet like a bad habit..

Highlighted
Spectator

@GabeU wrote:

@stevef 

The earliest HughesNet will be sending up a new satellite is 2021, like you heard.  Satellite design, launch and placement take a lot of planning and work.  The design and planning for the Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite systems you're reading about have been in the planning stages for at least a few years.  As well, LEO and GEO systems are very different.

Chances are, general LEO internet offerings are still at least a couple of years out.

Starlink will be available in June of this year for northern US and Canada. I can't wait..

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@yswinehart 

I don't know that I'd put money on that, and it's likely that when it does become available it will be limited in scope, at least for a while.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Senior

@yswinehart wrote:

Starlink will be available in June of this year for northern US and Canada. I can't wait..

I thought they were rolling out in Southern US.  Is it N US?  That would be awesome!  I'm panting for Starlink like a thirsty dog!

What part of N US?  The whole thing?  Or just a region? Better be NW US.  East has enough coverage.

Highlighted
Teaching Assistant

What part of N US?  The whole thing?  Or just a region? Better be NW US.  East has enough coverage.

I hope they cover all of the country,including upstate New York.

Highlighted
Sophomore

Re: 20 GB seem to vanish too quickly(6 days) even when unpluged ! CHANGE FOR THE BETTER ?

@GabeU wrote:

@MarkJFine wrote:

Speaking of LEOs (thanks to @C0RR0SIVE):

OneWeb goes bankrupt, lays off staff, will sell satellite-broadband business (ars technica)

I saw that they were doing this last week, but I was really hoping that there was something that could be done, as in a buyer or some other form or saving it.  Smiley Sad  

At first, I thought maybe Musk is going to buy it, but then I heard Amazon's Jeff Bezos is planning to purchase the ruins of OneWeb. 

Highlighted
Sophomore

I think it's not true. About 2 weeks ago Musk had a Tweet, he said from about 3 months now, there will be a private testing period, and about 6 months, there will be public Starlink Internet.

So I would say hopefully many people can sign up for the testing period, but the end of the tunnel is 6 months away. The end of November, early December?

If Hughes could do something in the next 5 months (talking about a new, way faster satellite, with way lower latency, and dropping data cap, giving a stable 20 Mbps speed (or maybe 15 or even just 10, that works really good) I would say it could work. But passing the new satellite to somewhere 2021, that would be a late action.

5G is still no help for rural. Sure, 5G and 4G are working in a huge chunk of the country, but only T-mobile is doing it right, but even they don't plan too much for rural. (Even though they just merged with Sprint and they said they are going to give 5G to rural areas. Maybe they will in 4 years, 6 years or 8 years, who knows. But until then we need something. Musk is running fast with his plans. Cable is not going rural, nor fiber. (Our local Cable company told me that I have to pay up $80,000 if I want them to extend the cable to our house. It's not going to happen.) There is a Fiber cable in front of our house, but every single company denying that it's theirs. It's probably a dead project or I have no idea.

We'll see what's going to happen in the next 6 months...