Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The good ole days

Distinguished Professor II

Re: The good ole days

@gaines_wright wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

I had a Commodore Vic 20, then a couple years later a Commodore 64, when I was a kid. 

I guess I'm showing my age,  I was in my late twenties, with a couple of young kids at home.   

So your current badge is quite apt?   

Capture.JPG

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Smiley Tongue

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

@GabeU wrote:

I don't think regular people could even connect online to anything back then, could they?    

I don't think "online" even existed back then.  Several years later I was dialing in to BBSs with a 1200 baud modem using an IBM PC clone.

@gaines_wright wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

I don't think regular people could even connect online to anything back then, could they?    

I don't think "online" even existed back then.  Several years later I was dialing in to BBSs with a 1200 baud modem using an IBM PC clone.

I didn't really mean online, as it exists today.  I meant being able to connect to a remote server.  I thought that, back then, only the government, universities and companies had that ability.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Senior Instructor

I learned Basic in high school in the mid-70's... on a TTY machine. Someone smart thought it might be a good idea to take it as an "elective". Was good for a lot od ASCII art printouts.

Bought a C64 when they came out so I knew what to do. The real fun came when I got my hands on a Hesmon cartridge and learned 6502/6510 assembler code (long story, but I built my own card and programmed an EPROM). My first 'project' was to build an interface to an FM audio subcarrier (SCA) demodulator/decoder that I built as a home project and the code to display/manipulate the data stream.

The 80's were fun. Been coding on various devices in various languages ever since.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@BirdDog wrote:

"Good old days"? Lol, online experience was more like using a teletype machine and high end graphics was a game of pong. Some things are nostalgic but not necessarily good, I like advancement. 

Actually I thought the graphics were pretty good, very klunky to program ( hexadecimal code ) , but good.  Of course it seems like everything in your youth looks better the older you get.  Smiley Embarassed)> 

Well, I like some advancements.  A pet peeve of mine, is the use by MS of robber-baron tactics worthy of Standard Oil to take over the whole computer world.  That's one of the reasons I switched to Linux.

Even if I had an old machine setting in front of me right now I think I'd get bored with it pretty quickly.

I wish I still had that creaky old ti99/4a, it's probably considered an antique now.  I've read that hobbiests are even working on a version of Linux for it,

@GabeU wrote:

So your current badge is quite apt?   

Capture.JPG

But I don't want to graduate!

Senior Instructor

You can probably get an emulator somewhere. I have one for my C64 and occasionally play some of the old games:

Beach Head.jpg

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:The 80's were fun. Been coding on various devices in various languages ever since.

I haven't written a line of code since 2003.  I thought about going back to 'C' ( my favorite ), until I discovered I'd stupidly lost my 'C' library of functions and programs I had acquired or written myself over the years.  It would  probably all come back to me if I could look at that stuff.

I know!  I know!  "Here's your sign!"  Smiley Embarassed)>

@MarkJFine wrote:

You can probably get an emulator somewhere. I have one for my C64 and occasionally play some of the old games:

I bet it's a blast playing those games on the C64.  I wish I still had mine.  I love my Raspberry Pi and the games I play on it.  Though I only have about two dozen at present, there are thousands out there.  Some of them I haven't played in well over 30 years.

Senior Instructor

The best part is playing them on my MacBook using a regular controller. The emulator transposes either of the stick and fire buttons to emulate an old joystick. Unfrtunately, they also emulate how inaccurate/unreliable they were.