cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To go along with the other off the wall things we talk about in this section....

Professor

Re: To go along with the other off the wall things we talk about in this section....

True, most people won't eat the artisan chicken with the apple slices.  Smiley Happy   From what I've been reading about the documentary,  it seems to me it's a kind of "what if?"  (What would happen if people ate like this every day of their lives?  The answer is not pretty).   In any case, it does have merit.

Senior Instructor

Re: To go along with the other off the wall things we talk about in this section....

Thing is, I'm pretty sure there are people who do eat there at least a few times a week for lunch, if not every day.

Just to keep things in context of just how important diet and exercise are:

Realizing I haven't discussed this much, but my brother, who was grossly overweight, diabetic, high blood pressure, and all the other typical ailments that go together died 3 days before his 62nd birthday this past February. My recent task has been to organize his condo and get things packed and cleared so it can be prepped and sold. And by prepped, I think we're calling a hazmat team at some point (story for another time).

Anyway, today I worked on the kitchen. Despite having zero diabetes meds in the house, I found boxes upon boxes of pasta and processed cereals - basically all complex carbs. It's what probably drove his ketoacidosis levels through the roof, likely driving him into a diabetic coma and ultimately killing him.

So the moral of today's sermon is... there are no substitutes for low fat proteins and veggies in your diet. Something I don't even think he knew existed.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor III

@MarkJFine

Sorry to hear about your brother.  I can't imagine.  Smiley Sad  

My stepfather's brother died a few years ago, and he was very overweight and diabetic, as well.  I can't remember his exact age, but I'm pretty sure he was in is mid 50s.  He was terribly unhealthy.  

When I was in my late 20s I got up to about 240lbs, and pretty much from eating junk food.  Pretty much every day at work one of my guys would go out and pick up lunch, and, sure enough, it was always fast food.   Now, nearly 20 years later and 70 pounds lighter, there's no more of that, thankfully.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Senior Instructor

When I was 45 I was close to 200 lbs. I'm only 5'6, and suffered every time I checked the air in my tires. Made a consious decision to lose weight, quit smoking, lose weight again, and get myself completely fit by the time I was 50.

I'm now approaching 60 and around 133 lbs. Was between 3-5% body fat while training for half marathons a couple of years ago. Nowadays I struggle to stay at 8% and trying to avoid the ankle ligament injuries that have been hampering me for almost two years (hint: Not a good idea to lace-lock New Balance shoes - causes problems).

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Professor

Mark, sorry to hear about your brother.

Senior Instructor

Appreciate the condolences @GabeU @maratsade. Although we weren't very close my parents are in their late 80s and I'm doing my best to do for them what they can't. So this past week was spent getting his condo organized for cleanout and resale.

Deffo got my steps in and more.

Professor

I bet that's a lot of work.  Did he have any family?

Senior Instructor

No family. And our younger sister is in SC. So it was just me.

And I'm ok with that, tbh. Once I get into a rhythm I can be very efficient and I work very fast. I just get a plan of attack in my head and execute: Simple things like, rules for what to keep, what to throw out. Actually, that sounds a lot simpler than it is.

In fact my parents wanted to come, but I told them no because they'd just slow me down.

Distinguished Professor III

Well, I had to do it.  Two more Quarter Pounders w/ Cheese today.  I just can't help myself.  It's like a drug!  AHHHHHHHH!!!!!   Just kidding, but I really do like them.  LOL.  

And I don't know what in the heck this is, but it looks funny, so I'm going to post it....

giphy (3).gif

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit