Using TestMy.net to compare your speed to others on your beam

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrBuster
Senior

Using TestMy.net to compare your speed to others on your beam

I was poking around the 'TestMy.net Database' option under 'DB' on the TestMy.net page, and I noticed something that might be useful for knowing how your tests compare with other users of HughesNet that share your beam -- and thus experience the same "congestion" circumstances that you do.

After you select 'TestMy.net Database', there is a list of details that they use to ID you -- this includes a city.  As a satellite beam covers a wide area, the city I saw was some distance from me, but it appeared to be close to the center of my beam!  

Click the City, then click the ISPs tab, and check to if you see a speed average for HughesNet for this city which may  represent the average speed for your beam.

Would someone else try this and report what city you are seeing associated with your location along with your satellite beam number?  This will let me know if this idea actually holds water so to speak.  I have searched for others cities that I thought might be near a beam center and found some that I thought would be for Jupiter 1, VS1, and VS2 that appear to give speeds that are in the general range of what I guessed for each.

Does anyone familiar with TestMy.net know how to search a provider for cities that they have records for?  That would make it a lot easier to check if this is an idea with potential or just nonsense as the cities I found with records have been found with just wild guessing based on looking at a map.

Now, of course, many folks that run the test use the wrong test size (too small test size and the test result is dominated by the start up time due to latency), or they are using Wi-Fi, so the average result numbers are likely to be on the low side, but if this works, then this would give a way to know if you are experiencing performance on-par with others that share your beam.

37 REPLIES 37