Hughesnet Community

Winter Computer Cleaning Anyone?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jay

Winter Computer Cleaning Anyone?

Today just so happens to be National Clean Out Your Computer Day. Something I should probably observe. Roughly 5 years ago I built a gaming PC and it still works like a charm, but I have so much junk saved on it.I know for a fact that it is FILLED to the brim with useless files saved over the years and probably a lot of dust as well. Needs a cleaning inside and out.

I try to dismantle it completely every few months for a real dusting but every time it gets a bit harder to find the motivation because it's such a massive beast.

Anyone else have any custom rigs that attract dust like nothing else or files on your hrad drive you know should have been axed years ago?

Image result for dusty computer gaming

-Jay

16 REPLIES 16
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"Today just so happens to be National Clean Out Your Computer Day"

Cleaning out my devices would disturb the gremlins that happily live there among files, apps,  and dust bunnies. 

Liz

I think once it gets warmer I'll have to take my PC out and use the computer duster I bought years ago and have only used one (1) time since then. I don't use my PC as much for hardcore gaming now, more for streaming movies and such.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

I wish I would have taken pictures when I recently rebuilt my system.  The old one looked much like Jay's picture, but probably worse.   Living out in the sticks and on a road that has a lot of farmland makes it dusty around here, and having a cat doesn't make it any better.  

Though I replaced the motherboard, CPU, PSU and memory, I reused everything else, including the case.  This time, though, I added filter material to the intakes.  I cut the material to size and used double sided tape to hold it in place.  It's kind of ugly, but it keeps everything nice and clean.  🙂 

The cat mention reminded me of this:

cat.jpg

"Mouse not detected"

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hrm, didn't really do any winter cleaning, though, early spring cleaning and upgrading I suppose?  Decided I would go custom water cooling again, repurposed a few 10+ year old parts, tried my hand at painting and failed horribly.  The idea was to go for a bit of a resident evil theme, but meh.  But, I did get it pretty clean, the amount of clorox wipes I went through to get all that tar filled dust off everything...

maratsade

Looks awesome. 

Oh that's rad. Does it light up too? 

-Liz

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@Liz wrote:

Oh that's rad. Does it light up too? 

-Liz

This is the best pic I can get due to the light messing with my phones camera...  It keeps trying to focus on different things.

What a beast!

-Jay

maratsade

"Beast" is right!

Since spring is almost here and we may get warmer weather soon, I've been wanting to take my rig outside and do something like this...

dusty.gif

I don't expect my PC to be THAT bad, but I definitely don't want to dust it inside. 

But I'm recalling something a former boss insisted: vacuum! Don't use compressed air! His logic was that the compressed air would push the dust further into the crevices. What do you think? I get it, but I'm skeptical. 

Also I already have an electric compressed air gun that's fun to use. XD

-Liz

maratsade

I don't think the compressed air would push the dust into the crevices; not if the cleaning is thorough.  

You could try sandblasting the machine for a super clean result. 😉

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Vacuum is a great idea, till you realize that the hose is plastic, and even clean air traveling at a high speed can generate static, then zap goes a $750 graphics card when the wand is a little too close.

Outside dusting = good enough, crevices don't really matter much, it's the overall airflow.  If there's a tight spot, use a small brush to help lift the dust, then blast it with canned air

Woah, I did not even consider static electricity. Thanks for the tip, @C0RR0SIVE!

-Liz

Vacuum is a great idea, till you realize that the hose is plastic, and even clean air traveling at a high speed can generate static, then zap goes a $750 graphics card when the wand is a little too close.

Outside dusting = good enough, crevices don't really matter much, it's the overall airflow.  If there's a tight spot, use a small brush to help lift the dust, then blast it with canned air

MacBooks have a metal case and are fairly resistant to static electricity. That's a good thing because my running socks cause all sorts of static on carpet. I'm constantly zapping something.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE 

Now that's neat looking!