cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter's last gasp....

Distinguished Professor I

Re: Winter's last gasp....

"We found out from talking to the two kids on the bus that their parents forgot to buy one vital thing that people in this area need and always have..a snow shovel.   They were out there, at first light, trying to clear their driveway with a spade. "

That's really hilarious!  (Though I can't laugh much since I've been known to forget essentials myself, as I'm not used to the environment). 

"I do remember there were a couple of nights during the winter of '92-'93 that got down to at least 22 below,"

YIKES.

Distinguished Professor IV

@maratsadewrote:

"I do remember there were a couple of nights during the winter of '92-'93 that got down to at least 22 below,"

YIKES.

Yep.  It was a bad one.  I only remember it due to moving down south in March of '93, so it was my last winter here unitl I moved back in 2002.  Still, it was the coldest winter, I believe, that I've ever experienced here.  I had to go outside to smoke.  Smiley Tongue  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

You must've turned into a Gabecicle. Smiley Happy

Still, it was the coldest winter, I believe, that I've ever experienced here.  I had to go outside to smoke.  Smiley Tongue  

If that's not an incentive to quit smoking, I don't know what is, lol!

I lived in RI in 92, 93, etc (and for that matter, I was only 12 yrs old). Our winters there never got that cold. 20s and 30s...MAYBE down to the teens.

But I remember demanding from my husband in '15 that we move to the Azores, where he's originally from. Because the heck with that kind of extreme "polar vortex" cold. Why should we live in this when we can live in "paradise". Alas, he said we couldn't.

The kids do the chickens and ducks now, lol.

Gabe, what made you decide to come back north after moving south for so long?!

"If that's not an incentive to quit smoking, I don't know what is, lol!"

LOL

Distinguished Professor IV

@Sweetpea3829wrote:

Eh, my job situation.  In the post 9/11 slowdown I ended up losing my job to someone who they could pay about 15k less.  I ended up having to come back to stay with my folks for a little while (yeah, living with my folks at 30...SMH).  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Hey, whatever saves you money.  I'm sure your folks liked having you around. 

Eh, my job situation.  In the post 9/11 slowdown I ended up losing my job to someone who they could pay about 15k less.  I ended up having to come back to stay with my folks for a little while (yeah, living with my folks at 30...SMH).  

He missed the snow and icy winds. LOL