Hughesnet Community

Could Someone Walk Me Through the Dish Upgrade From A Legacy (HN9000 modem) System Please?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
waterdogs1
New Poster

Could Someone Walk Me Through the Dish Upgrade From A Legacy (HN9000 modem) System Please?

I think the time is coming close that we will have to take the leap from a very old system (with 750MB daily data refreshes) to the new Gen5 plan. Right now, our plan (called Hughesnet Pro) interfaces reasonably well with all of the administrative improvements for Gen4 and Gen5. It cannot find comparable data on some of the dashboard indicators, but I have, for instance, been able to purchase tokens from the Status Meter until tonight when it says it is FORBIDDEN to present me with any options. I think it is trying to tell me something. Having these token bytes available enabled peace in the family since we were not constantly running out of data on a near daily basis and then waiting for a refresh. We do not watch movies etc. just medium web and email usage. From reading various threads, it looks as if I will need a new installation with a new dish and new modem, plus new contracts etc. My concern is about the dish and if it needs anything like new wiring?  We had to put the dish in the yard on a pole and run everything under our gravel driveway through a couple of stone walls etc. How much needs to be replaced? About how long would a typical  installation take? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Seeing as you would upgrade from an HN9000, a few things would happen...

1: You would go to a monthly allowance.
2: Uploads AND downloads both count towards your allowance.
3: Depending on location, and load balancing efforts you could end up on EITHER, Echostar-17 OR Echostar-19, differen't birds, similar technologies.
4: Your transmitter, and modem would both be replaced, and the old coaxial can be reused if it's determined to be of good quality.  From the sounds of it, your current cable is doing pretty good.
5: The maximum speeds on the 9000 are slightly higher than the minimum (FAP) speeds on ES-17 and ES-19 unless serious congestion is present at that time.  I find I can still browse just fine, but streaming is... iffy.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Seeing as you would upgrade from an HN9000, a few things would happen...

1: You would go to a monthly allowance.
2: Uploads AND downloads both count towards your allowance.
3: Depending on location, and load balancing efforts you could end up on EITHER, Echostar-17 OR Echostar-19, differen't birds, similar technologies.
4: Your transmitter, and modem would both be replaced, and the old coaxial can be reused if it's determined to be of good quality.  From the sounds of it, your current cable is doing pretty good.
5: The maximum speeds on the 9000 are slightly higher than the minimum (FAP) speeds on ES-17 and ES-19 unless serious congestion is present at that time.  I find I can still browse just fine, but streaming is... iffy.

Thank you so much. I will cross my fingers on the cable.