cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Gen5 require new hardware? Does Gen5 require realigning the dish?

Tutor

Does Gen5 require new hardware? Does Gen5 require realigning the dish?

The local installer I just spoke with said that current hardware will work for Gen5 and it points to the same satellite.

Does Gen5 require new hardware? Does Gen5 require realligning the dish?

• Gen5
20 REPLIES
Advanced Tutor

Re: Does Gen5 require new hardware? Does Gen5 require realigning the dish?

True Gen 5 on the new satellite requires a dish repoint, at a different location in space. I'm sure they will have Gen 5 wannabe plans on Jupiter 1 like they did for Gen 4 on the old 9000 system.

If on true Gen 4 now, it should only take a dish repoint to get true Gen 5. Not sure if the new modem is required. One of the others can answer that.

Sounds ike your installer is talking about "wannabe" Gen 5.

Tutor

It certainly seems as though Gen5 is a plan type, and that current Gen4 plan customers will be able to "upgrade" to a Gen5 plan without having to buy new hardware or have the dish repointed.  Hopefully a CS rep can set the record straight.

Highlighted
Advanced Tutor

Since I already have Ultra Gen 4 plan, if I upgraded to Gen 5 50 GB plan I would take a $10 monthly charge hit right off the top and it would only be good for 12 months then go up to almost $130 after that. Not to mention probably a new contract.

If they want me to convert they'll have to offer some incentive. Not much info on what is being offered to existing Gen 4 customers on Jupiter 1.

Tutor

according to http://upgrade.hughesnet.com

the upgrades must be amazing. All caps and 2 exclamantion points! Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, it requires me to call "Customer Care" Smiley Sad

Instructor

Just throwing this out there, pretty sure that to get ANY Gen5 plan, on either of the birds, will require the newer HT2000W modem.

Personal Machine: ECS B85H3-M | Intel i5 4460 | 16GB DDR3-1333 | eVGA 750Ti | Samsung 830 120GB
Server: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 | AMD FX8350 | 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC | Intel Quad Gigabit NIC | IBM M5015 | 650w OCZ ZS PSU | eVGA LP 710 | 8x WD RE 4TB disks
Teaching Assistant

C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Just throwing this out there, pretty sure that to get ANY Gen5 plan, on either of the birds, will require the newer HT2000W modem.

Hummm, I for one own my HT1100. I would be very reluctant to add a $15 per month lease fee to my bill.

Tutor

Not according to both of the Authorized HughesNet dealers I spoke with yesterday.

Tutor

why not pay the $350 and own the new hardware as well?
GW
Junior

I wonder if I could trade in my Gen 3 toaster and dish?