Gen 2

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryan2
Freshman

Gen 2

The Gen 2 came out 10 years ago and it’s the only Gen my town could get. Why cant we get Gen 3 or 4 in northern Alaska? And also the plans for the Gen 2 the standard plan is $80 for 1.5mps 350data. But the highest plan is $200 for 2.0mbs with 450data. How does that go from $80 to $100 for little improvement?
5 REPLIES 5
MarkJFine
Professor

Quite possible that the frequency bands that are used can't provide a significantly usable signal to that area. Too much path loss, if not too much latency. So the spot beams were prioritized elsewhere.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Though I don't know if this is the case, as I'm not very technically versed on the sats, it may be that the placement of the sats needed for Gen3 or Gen4 aren't amenable to those living in Alaska.  Maybe it's too low on the horizon for most, so they don't bother offering it for any.  

I just checked a couple of places and the elevation was 9 degrees for the ES17 in about the middle of the state.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

Though I don't know if this is the case, as I'm not very technically versed on the sats, it may be that the placement of the sats needed for Gen3 or Gen4 aren't amenable to those living in Alaska.  Maybe it's too low on the horizon for most, so they don't bother offering it for any.  

I just checked a couple of places and the elevation was 9 degrees for the ES17 in about the middle of the state.  

At those angles I don't think a spot beam like the new satellites use is very effective, the power output is much lower than the old one large footprint satellites that put out greater power. Would most likely take a huge dish like the old 6-12 foot diameter days just for the receive side, then the transmit side would most likely need to be quite a bit more than the 1-2 watt used now. Probably would not be cost friendly at all for those who might want it.

I was a bit shocked when I saw some of the beam charts before Echo 19 launched showing one Alaska beam.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@BirdDog 

Good point.  I was only thinking of how difficult it would be at that angle, as in so many people would be exempt due to even having trees south of their home (at a certain distance).  I wasn't even thinking about the power output.   

Again, very good point.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

@BirdDog 

Good point.  I was only thinking of how difficult it would be at that angle, as in so many people would be exempt due to even having trees south of their home (at a certain distance).  I wasn't even thinking about the power output.   

Again, very good point.  

I may have exaggerated a tad especially about dish size but pretty certain it would take beefier equipment on the user side from what we all have. Again, may not be worth the investment in a higher power radio and bigger dish, plus what it would then cost the customer.

Maybe a mod will eventually weigh in.