Hughesnet Community

Gen 5 Upgrade Offer (Several Questions/Concerns)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bare65
Advanced Tutor

Gen 5 Upgrade Offer (Several Questions/Concerns)

I received an email from HughesNet with an offer to upgrade to HughesNet Gen5.

I'm currently bouncing off an older, almost obsolete satelite, and while my service is considered Gen 4, I'm using a HN9000 modem.

Currently there are only 2 plans available to me (Connect Pro, 10GB anytime, 10BG Bonus to which I am currently subscribed too) with the other plan being only 5GB/10GB.

I pay a total of $71.56 per month ($59.99 for the Gen 4 Connect Pro, $9.99 for Equipment Lease, 75 cents property tax surcharge & misc. other taxes.)

The email that I received talks about 'special offers in my area' but does not provide any details and/or pricing for such offers as well as any additional such as extra fees (installation, ongoing lease fees) nor does it provide information about possibly having to extend my contract for an additional set amount of months/years.

Unfortunatley, my experience, when talking to customer service, has not been the best as there always seems to be a 'communication' issue between the reps and myself (we simply have a hard time understanding each other) so I'm reluctant to call the 1-800 number provided in the email but I certainly would be interested in switching plans if I will benefit (overall speeds etc) from this newer service without any price increase.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone from at the corporate level could break down these new plans (pricing, data allowances) and tell me if they are indeed available in my area.

I live in a remote area of the high desert (California), thus the reason we were initially hooked up with an HN9000 modem, and as such we share a zip code with the nearest town some 40 miles away (92309).

Would I have to sign up for an additional 2 years? Currently I am about 10 months into this current contract.

Would our overall speeds be 5x faster as implied in this email that I received ? What, if any, additional fees would I incur (modem lease, etc)

Any help you can offer with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi bare65,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. C0RR0SIVE laid out all the important information about upgrading to Gen 5 (thanks!). I've PMed you so we can further discuss upgrade options, so please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
bare65
Advanced Tutor

I also meant to ask if we would be subjected to paying additional equipment or installation fees if we were to upgrade our current plan over to Gen 5.

Thanks again..

bare65
Advanced Tutor

Well after seeing no reply from anyone on here, I went ahead and called the number on the email I received..(866-836-5148)

I think for the time being I'll go ahead and stay with my current plan Smiley Happy

The HughesNet reps on here are only available until 4-5 PM eastern time.  I see your initial post was about 8 hours ago and it now being 11 PM you posted around 3 PM eastern.  That late the reps were probably busy with other things and haven't see your post yet.   I realize you have called the number to find out about upgrading, not sure what kind of offer they give over the phone.  The reps here might have a better offer.  Either PM Liz or I'm sure she would probably send you a message when she does see this.  If you do upgrade to Gen5 it will result in renewing your 2 year contract.  

I upgraded from an old legacy plan to Gen5 and I am extremely happy with the service.  When / if all the monthly data is used speeds are still reasonable to do pretty much anything at 2-3 Mbps.  Service does not get cut off like older systems.  Gen5 you can still even watch videos or do other downloads after using the monthly data limit.  

Completely forgot about the time zones Smiley Tongue

The new Gen 5 sounds good, especially the faster speeds, but unfortunatley we just don't have the money to be paying for installation/activation ($99) upfront.

I understand the modem fee (Equipment fee) is higher than what I'm currently paying ($14.99 versus my currant $9.99) due to the fact that this new modem would have a built in 'wifi' (I'm guessing this is the same as a router??) , but personally I don't use wifi or a router (I still have not figured up how to hook up the one I received for free...it's been sitting under my desk gathering dust this enitre time) and being that I would no doubt stick to the 10GB plan to keep my overall billing down to what it is now, I don't see how a built in wifi modem would be of any use to me anyways as I would still be unable to stream much of anything without exceeding my 10GB allowance each month.

This last month was the first month since we had service installed (some 10 months ago) that we came very close to exceeding our monthly allowance. (massive Windows 10 update from what I gathered) We actually get 14 GB of monthly usage (we have the ConnectPro 10GB plan, but we get an extra 4GB at no charge because we initially bundled our services through DirecTV) but most months we usually don't go over 5-6GB (if that) so I would no doubt stay on the 10GB plan.

If the reps have a better offer...by all means, shoot me a message.

If not, no worries...

🙂

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hrm, maybe @Liz or someone above her can see about working out a deal for you...

I would hate to see you stay on Spaceway3 as that satellite is getting very close to retirement...

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Well...

@bare65 wrote:

appreciate it if someone from at the corporate level: 

Tends to make everyone avoid your topic as we have had many fellow customers come here and chew us out because we didn't kiss their buttocks and eat their poo then demand only corporate answer to them...  Most of the support here is provided by other customers and Hughesnet steps in when needed... Just saying...

BUT...  I will go ahead and attempt to answer things.  The plans on Gen5 are the same for everyone, no matter where you live, for now.  Hughes has 10/50, 20/50, 30/50, and 50/50 plans, and the respective prices are $49.99, $69.99, $99.99, and $129.99, plus a $15 lease fee for the HT2000w.  Those are the prices with out the introductory offer.

Yes, you will be locked into a new 2 year contract if you upgrade to Gen5 service.  

Speeds will be much higher than what Spaceway3 can tolerate providing to you on Gen5 as well, I doubt five times faster as the service for all plans is only rated for 25Mbps, BUT, many users are seeing 50Mbps (above plan speeds)...  But, overall you will be on the 10/50 plan and save a few bucks a month, but don't plan on the 10GB lasting you as long.  You will notice with the higher speeds that you can, and will consume more data as you can go through websites and media much faster.

BUT, one benefit is, even if you DO use up your data allowance, when you go into FAP, the speeds are much higher than they used to be, so browsing websites, and even streaming at low definition will still be possible.

"Tends to make everyone avoid your topic as we have had many fellow customers come here and chew us out because we didn't kiss their buttocks and eat their poo then demand only corporate answer to them...  Most of the support here is provided by other customers and Hughesnet steps in when needed... Just saying..."

I certainly wasn't 'demanding' anything...nor have I asked anyone on here EVER to kiss my butt or eat my poo???? but whatever...thanks for the reply.

and for the record, the only reason I ask someone to contact me from the 'corporate level' is because we BOTH know and appreciate that the reps like Liz (who work at a corporate level) will give you straight answers, current pricing, without all of the usual 'sales pitches' and half truths that you would receive otherwise via phone.

bare65
Advanced Tutor

Just out of curiosity, if I'm currently bouncing off Spaceway 3 (I'm guessing this is the satelite), but decide to upgrade to Gen 5...would I not continue to receive the same slower service or would they be pointing me to a new satelite?

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

You would be pointed to the newer Jupiter II satellite that recently launched, which is why I assume they want the install fee, you're still under contract for the older system.  Hopefully someone here that works at Corporate can cut ya a deal, but, don't get your hopes up.

Hi bare65,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. C0RR0SIVE laid out all the important information about upgrading to Gen 5 (thanks!). I've PMed you so we can further discuss upgrade options, so please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

bare65
Advanced Tutor

Thank you @Liz I just sent you a reply..

Got it, thank you!

bare65
Advanced Tutor

Thank you @Liz for placing our upgrade order and answering all of my questions.

Our Gen 5 upgrade is scheduled for tomorrow (6/20) Smiley Very Happy

Very happy to hear that our install was scheduled through JDS Systems..

Jim (the owner) has been our satellite installer out here in these parts for years and is wonderful.

He is one of very few installers that will travel out this far and is always extremely friendly and professional.

Thanks again for everything..