Hughesnet Community

Gen 5 'throttled' download/upload speeds are....

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bare65
Advanced Tutor

Gen 5 'throttled' download/upload speeds are....

...surprisingly faster than I thought they would be. Smiley Very Happy

Yesterday we added a 500MB (it was a freebie) token just to get through the day so that my son could download some new employment paperwork without any issues, but we quickly went through that by the end of the night.

Today we are running on full throttled speeds (during the 'anytime period') and I've chosen to ride it out given that we only have 2 days left before our data resets for the month. I'm on the desktop computer, my son is bouncing off the wifi (HT2000W modem) on his windows phone, and my daughter-in-law is occasioning checking her stuff on her andriod phone...

Untitled.png

This is the first time we have FAP'd since upgrading to Gen 5 and I have to admit, I'm pleasantly surprised as to how quickly the content / websites I've been viewing are downloading.

Even uploading this photo above was effortless...

I just watched a random 3 minute utube video (144 p lowest quailty) and the video downloaded immediately with no buffering...granted, at 144p quality, the picture wasn't all that great, but as a customer who upgraded to Gen 5 from Gen 4 / Spaceway 3/Hn9000 system, (with advertised speeds of up to 5 mbps) let me tell ya....being able to browse the internet, watch video content, and conduct business as usual when THROTTLED is, by far, much more than I would of been able to do if still on my old HN9000 / Spaceway 3 system.

I very much doubt, if I had been throttled back then on my old system, I would of been able to load ANY webpages, let alone watch video feed via my desktop computer or any other device.

Due to our very remote location, and not having any type of land line or cellular signal out here, I have always been concerned about running out of data and how the throttled speeds would impact us..especially during the daytime hours.

Would we be able to access the internet at all?

Will I continue to receive our email?

Would I be able to continue paying my online bills or communicating to family members via Facebook if I needed to get a hold os someone?

Obviously, we have plenty of 'bonus zone' data if the worst came to the worst I could jump on in the wee hours of the night/very early morning, but I am extremely happy to say that YES! during the daytime, I can continue doing all of this and so much more.

10 REPLIES 10