Gen5 Upgrade A Positive Experience

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cybercycle1
Junior

Gen5 Upgrade A Positive Experience

I just upgraded from my HN9000 this week to the Gen5 system and I couldn't be happier with how the whole process worked out.  The installation crew did a "by the book" install and the speeds and functionality of the Gen5 are all that was advertised. 

Not to brag, but the system is faster than my local brother's cable provider's internet service...I think he's in shock!

Anyway....great job HughesNet, you've come a long way since the HN9000 was introduced!

Advanced Tutor

I also upgraded just over a week ago from HN9000 / Spaceway 3 service (10GB)

I'm now on the new Gen 5 10GB plan (Jupiter 2 / HT2000W)

Like you, so far this upgrade has been a very positive experience. I certainly have no complaints as far as speed is concerned.

I'm averaging around 38 - 41 Mbps download speeds, and just under 2-3 Mbps upload with this new Gen 5.

My average speed with the HN9000 was 8-12 Mbps (download) and well under 1 Mbps (upload)...which, again, in all fairness to HughesNet, was still faster than the 'up to 5Mbps' advertised speeds for the particular service that I had.

Granted, I've been having a little more fun than usual given that I'm still receiving those daily data resets (about 12 more days to go on those) but I have also been using this time to make sure my computer is fully up to date with all the latest updates etc.

While I did test out the 'wifi' capabilites on this new HT2000W modem, I have since manually disabled all 4 frequencies of 'wifi' on my HT2000W and will simply enable the 'wifi' setting if needed.

I've also changed both my Ethernet and Wifi network status to 'metered connections'.

From now on, regardless of whether my computer is hooked up to the internet directly via an Ethernet Cable or indirectly via the HT2000W modem using Wifi (my desktop computer has built in wifi), being that I'm now on a 'metered connection' will prevent any Window 10 Updates from automatically downloading. As we all know, some of these updates are massive (1 - 2GB in size)

When updates do become available, I can simply download them during my Bonus Zone period (2am - 8am) as I have an extra 50GB of bonus bytes each month during these times. I can also hold off and use these bonus bytes to download other larger files, if needed.

There are several new features of Gen 5 that we didn't get with HN9000/Spaceway service, one being the ability to view our usage history directly from the Hughesnet Usage Meter (desktop version 6.6.1) as well as the Video Settings/Saver Mode option. These are certainly improvements over the old service too.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@bare65

Just remember this when it comes to a metered connection...  IF Microsoft pushes a very critical update (im talking MAJOR zeroday like event or similar stuff) then the system will ignore the metered setting.  Those updates tend to be small emergency patches.  I can think of only two times that has happened, and when it has, those updates even went out for WinXP users.

One thing the Metered setting does help with is that it limits how often your machine calls home with telemetry data, it still will but not nearly as often, among how frequently Windows Store based applications (think Candy Crush, and other applications from the store it self) will update, as they are updated seperately from Windows Update.

Metered changes a lot of things in a system, most of it isn't immediately obvious.

@C0RR0SIVE

Back when I was using the HN9000 / Spaceway service, I actually went into the majority of Window applications/programs on my computer and 'manually' disabled the 'automatic update' features on each program...at least those applications that would allow me to do so.

Now, when these types of applications have available updates, I will receive an alert on whether or not I want to download the latest update.

Every now and again I go back to these applications and verify that my manual override is still in effect...

I don't mind, every now and again, Miscrosoft pushing through very 'critical' patches...but these ongoing monthly massive Window 10 Updates were getting beyond frustrating...and on the HN9000, they would take several hours to complete, with some of them failing in the process and then re-downloading right from the beginning again. A 1-2 GB download was costing me upwards of 3GB's of data.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

scared-face.jpg