Gen5 Upgrade with no change to dish?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jacobsenlc
New Poster

Gen5 Upgrade with no change to dish?

I just upgraded from Gen4 to Gen5.  I was told I will receive my new Modem/Router in 7 to 10 days.  I asked if there was a local service call required to "point" the dish to the new Gen5 satellite.  I was told that this was not necessary.  "Just install the new modem/router and in less than an hour all will up fine."

Does this make sense?  I remember reading that the dish had to be repointed to move to the "Gen5 satellite".  Thanks for any clarifications on the upgrade steps.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Echostar 17 is now considered a Gen 5 satellite just like Echostar 19. To be honest with the recent problems with some beams on E19, you may bebetter off staying on E17, at least for the near term.

Also, some places are served by both satellites, hopefully they are trying to balance the load between the two. So maybe they determined it was best to keep you on the older satellite.

All that is required for Gen 5 service is the new modem/router combo (HT2000W).

View solution in original post

OK.  This makes sense.  Thank you for the quick reply.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MarkJFine
Professor

Some regions are still served by Jupiter 1 and require no dish adjustments.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Echostar 17 is now considered a Gen 5 satellite just like Echostar 19. To be honest with the recent problems with some beams on E19, you may bebetter off staying on E17, at least for the near term.

Also, some places are served by both satellites, hopefully they are trying to balance the load between the two. So maybe they determined it was best to keep you on the older satellite.

All that is required for Gen 5 service is the new modem/router combo (HT2000W).

OK.  Thanks for the quick reply.

OK.  This makes sense.  Thank you for the quick reply.

dacarrigan
Spectator

What was the cost of the upgrade to GEN5

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@dacarrigan wrote:

What was the cost of the upgrade to GEN5

No matter the OP's cost, you can find out what your cost would be by visiting https://www.hughesnet.com/ and inputting your address, or by calling the number on the site.