How to upgrade to a Gen5 modem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LGriffin
Sophomore

How to upgrade to a Gen5 modem

I want to upgrade my gen4 ht1100 modem to the Gen5?

One was placed on order for me a couple of months ago but UPS could deliver to a PO Box,,,,BS. I have a vendor that regularly delivers to my PO Box. Not only that but the email that I got that it was shipped gave some off the wall URL to track that did not work. Is there some way I can buy it and have it shipped to my PO?

Thanks Larry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Amanda

Hello Larry,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. I was able to locate your account and review the shipping status of the modem and see that because it was sent to the PO Box, the PO Box receiver rejected and returned the shipment. If you send me a private message with a physical shipping address I can send you another modem. 

Thank you,

Amanda

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@LGriffin

While you may have a vendor that regularly ships to your P.O. Box, UPS's own statement regarding shipments to such says...

"UPS will only accept shipments to a valid street address. We do not deliver to P.O. Boxes. If a shipper should use a P.O. Box address, the recipient´s telephone number must be included on the label. Your package that is addressed to a P.O. Box may be delayed, will not be covered by any UPS Service Guarantee, and will require an address correction charge. Additionally, Army Post Office (APO) and Fleet Post Office (FPO) addresses are not accepted."

With this said, hopefully the reps will be able to help you with your modem upgrade.  The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, but it can take them a day or two to reply.  

@Liz

@Amanda

I don't care how it gets shipped as long as I get it. My physical address has a mailbox on the street in an industrial area and is searched by the local meth addicts regulary.That is why I have the PO Box. The last couple of deliveries UPS made to my storage locker. UPS didn't leave a delvery notice as per their manual.

FedEx and UPS have both made deliveries to my Post Office Box. I'll forward an with email with the PO Box tracking number. I don't think a 3rd party was involved. The part that really fouled things up was that I wasn't able to track. The URL that I was given to track was "https://www.upspostsaleslogistics.com/cfw/login.screen" this not the usual UPS URL to track neither was the number. Kept getting the error msg that the tracking number was bad and I double checked that with customer service. BTW customer service has been great through out the hassle. UPS needs to step up they are usually good but I think sales got involved. 😉

In any case I'm willing to work with the Reps to get this done. I'm going to be on the web more than usual and a little extra speed would be nice. The URL for home/status is excellent.

Best Larry

In anycase

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

In any case I'm willing to work with the Reps to get this done. I'm going to be on the web more than usual and a little extra speed would be nice. The URL for home/status is excellent.

Larry;

I don't mean to highjack your thread. I have a suggestion that I think might help. Do you have a friend that is willing to let you use thier address as a shipping address?

Reggie

GabeU

@Reggie wrote: 

Larry;

I don't mean to highjack your thread. I have a suggestion that I think might help. Do you have a friend that is willing to let you use thier address as a shipping address?

Reggie

I was wondering about something like that, or maybe even Larry's workplace or a local business that he trusts and has good relations with.

Reggie, it is not so much the physical address as it being able to track it, which didn't work also. I can ship it to the autobody shop. Thanks for the help/post.

Best Larry

Hi Larry,

I understand where you are coming from, I recently had a gift stolen from my door (also a one-of-a-kind item). I started using UPS MyChoice and USPS Informed Delivery to manage my mail and packages. Haven't lost a thing since! Anyways, please send me a private message here (click on my name and then the 'Send a Message' button) with the full name and address where I can ship the modem. I can also add an additional, optional shipping address separate from your physical/billing address to your account, where any future packages from us will go to. 

Thanks,

Amanda

Amanda

Hello Larry,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. I was able to locate your account and review the shipping status of the modem and see that because it was sent to the PO Box, the PO Box receiver rejected and returned the shipment. If you send me a private message with a physical shipping address I can send you another modem. 

Thank you,

Amanda

I checked the email notice from Natural Partbners with their UPS tracking number and then tracked the number. It appears they are using service from UPS named Mail inovations. I google that and came up with upsmailinnovations com. I couldn't connect kept getting a reset error that I'm hoping maybe corrected with the new modem.

Again I'll be happy to work with a Rep.

Best Regards, Larry

It turns out that since the modem upgrade was originally started on the upgrade plan it had to be finished on the plan. It was delivered by Zack a World Wide Tech.

Since installation there has been an increase in speed enough to be noticeable. The connections have improved but I still get an occasional erroe and have to do a retry. I probably need to upgrade this laptop since it doesn't connect at 5G to the modem wifi.

Thanks o all for the Help,  Larry

GabeU

@LGriffin wrote:

I probably need to upgrade this laptop since it doesn't connect at 5G to the modem wifi.

If you're having speed issues with your 2.4Ghz connection there are often settings adjustments that will improve the speed of devices that utilize that connection.  

I have no 5Ghz connectible devices (save for the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ I got a few weeks ago), and all of my 2.4Ghz connected devices have internet speeds that are within 98% of my Ethernet cable connected devices, meaning that with a device connected via the 5Ghz band I'd see virtually no improvement over my 2.4Ghz connected devices.  

I only mention this as I'd hate to see you spend hundreds on a new laptop with a 5Ghz connection only to find that your WiFi speed isn't any better.  

However, if the speed of your 2.4Ghz WiFi connected laptop is noticeably lower than an Ethernet cable connected device, and no settings adjustments help to bring that 2.4Ghz speed up, a 5Ghz connection may very well give better results.